Automated Evernote List: Closing Open Loops for GTD

lindsaydodd

I am looking for some advice and feedback...

One of my big problems is that I forget when I commit to doing something for someone. I forget to write it down when I make the commitment and it doesn't even make my to-do list. Until I do the dreaded head-slap and say "I forgot, but yes I will get you that report, thanks for reminding me."

So, two of us GTD disciples started a little project to create automated Evernote to-do lists from our email. It simply track the commitments we make as we send email to colleagues, customers, suppliers, etc. So far, we are training the system to pick out our commitments and create an Evernote to-do item. 

Is there already something out there that would do this for us? Is closing open loops a problem that needs an automated solution? We are not sure if anyone but us would find this useful. 

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Lindsay.

• 4 weeks later...

Lindsay:

Not sure I understand your workflow, but I've been thinking about a similar issue. Here's what I'm trying:

For Emails:

1. BCC your Evernote email address on email replies that commit to follow up.

2. add the ! at the end of the email subject line to create a reminder

3. a short tag (e.g. #WIP, #Pend) after the !

This will create a note with a title containing the subject line of the email, a reminder and a tag (e.g. WIP, Pend) including the text of the email in the body of the note.  Depending on your workflow, you can process the new notes during review.

I recently discovered you can text Evernote from your phone. Just type your Evernote email address into the box where you would put a phone number. You can still use the reminder, tag syntax. Great for quick and short items to work from a list.

Here is the link to a detailed description for the email syntax:

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/06/14/inbox-hero-email-evernote/

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Bishop

• 3 weeks later...

Another approach if you are using a MAC is to use POPCLIP. This is a little program that runs in the background and puts up a little menu when you select text. In addition to the standard "COPY" action you can add extensions to "CUT TO EVERNOTE NOTE" or "CUT TO TODOIST" etc. I find this to be a really fast way to get text into ever note from email, text messages, webpages, etc.

Archived