Importing notes

BillyPants

I've been using a note app called Cintanotes. I have hundreds of entries and I wondered if there was any way to get them into Evernote?
They are contained in the program database, but they can be exported as one long txt file. 
Also, where is the database for evernote and can I export any note at any time to a text file?

• Level 5*

Hi.  See the windows desktop client File menu and Tools > Import Folders for import and export options;  also check Tools Options General for the location of your Evernote database.

Short term if you can export your Cintanotes to one text file that is less than 25MB,  you'll be able to save that as one note.  You should split your file into separate notes though when you can,  and maybe use the Import Folder route to add them to Evernote.

Sadly cinta notes only exports the notes to a single txt file. There seems to be no way to get Evernote to import it other than as that one file. 
You can export as an xml file from cinta but Evernote can't read xml. 
I was hopping to upgrade to evernote from Cinta but short of manually splitting 1 note into 1000 individual files I can't see how :(

• Level 5*

I realised that splitting a 1000-note text file might be difficult,  hence the suggestion to import it in one hit (if less than 25MB in total).  You'll be able to search for content keywords easily,  and in a similar situation I'd wait until I need one or another block of text,  then copy that content into a new note and build on it from there.  If the total exported note size is >25MB you could still chop the file into a handful of manageable chunks to complete the import.

You might want to look into XML readers / converters / editors with a view to producing EN-compatible files somewhere down the line,  but a brute force approach should work in the short term and with minimal effort.

Archived