catsknit

Epson Document Capture pro

I have an Epson ds-30, a simple portable scanner I use a lot.  The software, Epson Document Capture Pro, does most of what i want easily, but I am having 2 problems I can't find an anwer to from Epson's support

1)It comes with a button for sending directly to Evernote.  When I click on it, it tells me I don't have EN installed, which is not true (had EN long before this scanner, and am running the most current version on Windows). The work-around is to save to a folder, and I use my "Into Evernote" folder on my hard-drive. It's just an extra step and I wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

2) there is a button in DCP to make pdf's searchable.  It came bundled with ABBYY fine reader 9.0, but I eventually bought ABBYY FineReader 11.0.  Both are still installed. When the searchable button is on, I get an error message that it can't connect with finereader's ini.  I have re-installed the FR 9 software with no help.

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out if I should just leave the searchable part off, and let EN do it, or is it better to have the OCR done locally first and then upload?  I have a basic account, and I thought only jpgs are searchable, which is why I was doing it this way.

Hi.  You don't mention your OS,  which is always good to know..  If it's Windows you can get around the two-steps problem by using an Import Folder (Evernote > Tools). 

Scan to an import folder and Evernote will automatically add the file to a note.  I prefer to scan to another folder however so I can batch OCR my PDFs after scanning - they scan faster,  and it seems quicker to me.  Once OCR'd I 'select all' and move all the files to an import folder.