"Annotate PDF" use, results in Note not being visible plus a msg.

Doug-Fallbrook

Using Evernote free, latest version.  When hover over a PDF Note, there is a "Annotate PDF" tool. I click on it and in the new window, annotate the Note fine.  Then when click File/Save and Close, it saves and goes back to normal Note screen, and the Title of the Note is present at the top, but in the body of the Note in a gray shaded box it says, "Missing viewer for a resource of type "application/pdf".

What does this mean?  Is there a fix?  Am I allowed in the free version to annotate pdf notes?

Thanks,

Doug

post-260230-0-86311400-1433737665_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  That certainly seems odd.  I'd suggest backing up your database folder (Tools > Options > General for the location,  then File > Exit Evernote and copy the folder) and then uninstall and reinstall Evernote.  What version of Windows are you running? 

Thank you gazumped.  I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1.

It's a bit scarry to uninstall and then reinstall, but I'll trust that I can just copy my database back to the same location after I reinstall, and it will work.  Not sure that will help the error problem though.  I'll try it and repost.

I've located database, closed Evernote, now will uninstall and then redownload and install.

Well, I did the uninstall and re-install of the Evernote program from my PC, and when I logged in to the newly installed program (same version as the one I was using), then, of course, all my notes were still there without me having to copy my database back into the Evernote folder.  Da, I guess all our notes are stored in the cloud at Evernote servers.  That's how all our separate devices get updated and "synced".  So, the backup wasn't necessary.

And the PDF note that I had annotated is still the same, has the error message,   Missing viewer for a resource of type "application/pdf"

Perhaps for some reason, I can't use the PDF "Annotate" tool in the Free Evernote version..??

• Level 5*

The uninstall/ reinstall thing is supposed to work seamlessly and give you your notes back as soon as you log in - the database folder contains an EXB file (plus other stuff) which is the local copy of your database.  Since it can tale a while to download the database again if anything goes wrong with the process,  and the database is the only record of any unsynced notes you might have,  it's a belt and braces thing to copy the folder before getting under Evernote's hood.

As to the 'missing viewer' message - in past editions it indicated that your system couldn't open the PDF file because the link with the PDF viewer is broken.  The fix was to try right-clicking the PDF file and choose "Open WIth" to get a list of the apps on your system that can open the file.  I'm not sure though whether that will fix the Annotation connection.  If you click 'open with' - what options do you see?

• Level 5*
At present, I have many PDF files in my notes, and I can view them all just fine.  Even the file that has now gone "invisible", was a PDF file that I could see fine, until I made two annotations in that note inside the Annotate PDF window, saved and closed it -- that is when the PDF file came back with the "Missing viewer..." message -- right after I used the annotation tool.  All my other PDF files are perfectly visible.  It's got to be something about an annotated PDF that is causing the problem.  

Right clicking on my other PDF files does open the menu you describe, with an "Open With" option, which lists Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, etc.  However, when I right click on the Note that I annotated with the Annotate PDF tool, it does not give me that same menu.  It just gives me the menu for formatting text, like any other text note.  Which indicates that after annotating this Note, and getting the "Missing viewer..." message, it is not being recognized as a PDF file any longer.  Need some programming tech help I think.

Kinda weird (if this post works) that you're getting issues with the forum too..

Do you have Evernote Skitch installed on your computer?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Sorry - just thought that maybe updating Skitch might be a fix - but if you don't have it..

I suggest you submit a bug report on this.  You won't necessarily get any follow-up,  but it does mean that the devs will take a look at your situation and (maybe) fix it in a future release...

Choose "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Reach out on Twitter @Evernotehelps too since we haven't been able to solve this.  (Include the forum thread URL for extra background)

A few hours ago I updated some note with new pdfs. All looks fine. In Windows I can see the content as usual and in the Androids the icon with title of an attachment.

But one pdf gave Missing viewer for a resource of type "application/pdf" in one note. But not in the other... Some pdf!

Both in Windows and the 3 Androids 

I deleted and drag it in again from desktop and now it's fine in all units. Weird!

Archived