Laughable

hognoodle

Just trying the software for the first time with a super-simple task, sync a shopping list between the windows app and web. I have a blackberry q5 also to sync to but I don't want this program to explode yet.

It can't handle simple syncing between a note on the windows app and the web app. Change a shopping item in my "Wal-Mart" note for example, it may gey synced, it may not, I'll have 2 notes with the same title on the web app, I'll delete one of them and keep the other, the windows app will then have 0 notes with that title. Bring the phone into the equation and it's another dimension of confusion.

How long has this program been around, I can't even sync a simple shopping list.

FAIL!!!!

The issue should not occur if you sync when you enter/leave a platform.  Sync is not immediate on the desktop.

I restarted the windows program and rebooted into the web interface, I guess that should qualify as "entering/leaving" a platform. I have 10 notes in my "Groceries" notebook on win8 and 9 notes on the web interface.The "missing note" happened when the sync from the web => win8 created 2 notes with the same name instead of making the edit. I deleted one of the notes on win8 and now I have 1 note on win8 and 0 on web. And it's stuck there.

I could screenshot it to show you. I had onenote/winphone8 syncing like a beast for a year, never a single problem, that combo synced when you breathed on it.

This juggernaut program can't do simple syncs properly, just saying.

Good morning Hognoodle,

I think you must be doing something wrong, but cannot get my head around it.

Once you make a change on a Note, does Evernote sync before you look on the Web? Make sure it syncs before you turn off the computer or in your words 're-boot' the software. 

I have 20,000 Notes and some on here many more than that. It syncs fine between several computers, phones, iPads and users. I almost live in Evernote and is fine apart from some odd problems that occur every now and then - Top Tip, never install the latest updates until they have been in use for some time. Same as any software really!

With over 100 million users you can imagine that it must have something to do with the way you are using it?

Have a try with what I suggested above and let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

@hognoodle,

Take it easy on yourself.  To prove it to yourself, start with a fresh list and be sure the syncs are done and you will be fine.  Chris wouldn't lead you wrong.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, @Hognoodle.  You wrote, "I restarted the windows program ... I guess that should qualify as 'entering/leaving' a platform."

Closing the Windows client will only force a synchronization if you've got that feature selected.  Go to menu Tools | Options | Sync, and make sure that "Synchronize changes on exit" is selected.  While you're there, you might also make sure "Synchronize in the background" is also selected and "Synchronize automatically" is selected and that you've chosen a high frequency for synchronization (for instance, choose "Every 5 minutes" from the dropdown list).

hognoodle, you have to decide when you create a notebook whether it's local (not synchronized) or regular (synchronized).

To create a local notebook, use the menu commands:  File | New Notebook | New Local Notebook.

If you decide that material in a synched notebook should instead be in a local notebook, you can move one or all notes with the menu commands:  Note | Move To Notebook (or just drag them to the local notebook).

hognoodle, you have to decide when you create a notebook whether it's local (not synchronized) or regular (synchronized).

To create a local notebook, use the menu commands:  File | New Notebook | New Local Notebook.

If you decide that material in a synched notebook should instead be in a local notebook, you can move one or all notes with the menu commands:  Note | Move To Notebook (or just drag them to the local notebook).

That simple, thanks again. It would be cool for us dummies, to have a 'local notebook' option when creating a new notebook by right-click.

Is there any way to sort notes in arbitrary order?

Hognoodle, I haven't found a way to shuffle the actual notebooks into an arbitrary sequence in the Notebook panel on the left, BUT YOU CAN GET ALMOST THE SAME THING:

If you right click on a notebook name, you'll see "Add to Shortcuts."  Do that for each of the notebooks you want to shuffle around.

On the "View" menu you can choose "Shortcuts" and then either "Show in Toolbar" or "Show in Left Panel" -- me, I prefer "Show in Toolbar."

Either way, you can drag and drop the shortcuts into any arbitrary sequence you wish, and clicking on them will display that Notebook's contents in the central NOTES panel.  :)  It's very similar to actually having the notebooks in whatever arbitrary sequence you wish.  :)

(A shortcut can be to a Notebook, a Notebook Stack, or a single note.  If it's a Notebook Stack, you'll also get a little drop-down list, in alphabetical order, of the Notebooks within that stack.)

Oh, and on the "Tools," menu, you might want to select "Options," then "Sync," then "Synchronize Shortcuts," so that the same shortcuts will show up for you on other platforms. 

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Robert, I guess that shortcuts are one way to organize notes that allows you to not be restricted in your sorting order (can be done with notebooks as well) but then you lose your whole hierarchal structure (you have all your notes listed in a bunch instead of by notebook/stack). If you plan on documenting some large, complex projects, I'd really much rather work with them in a folder structure. That is a workaround, I do however wish that the program would allow notes to be moved around in the same way that shorcuts can be.

• Level 5*

No easy way to manually order notes, a search will pull up multiple threads.  For a limited number of notes some add reminders to the notes and order them in the reminder area of Snippet view.  But full scale note dragging does not exist.  Unfortunately.

No easy way to manually order notes, a search will pull up multiple threads.  For a limited number of notes some add reminders to the notes and order them in the reminder area of Snippet view.  But full scale note dragging does not exist.  Unfortunately.

It is unfortunate because if you are trying to document a large project, there's no way around it. You want to keep your notes in an order which may have nothing to do with 'name' or 'update time' or whatever. I'm sure there is project management software out there that can do the job if you want to learn it/purchase it but if you'd like to use Evernote, this is a surprising restriction.

• Level 5*

Yup.  You can workaround a bit with Table of Contents notes or tags to create subgroups, but either can be a PITA as well.

Archived