Error message: Evernote is not ready to accept clips

EvernoteForever

I would greatly appreciate knowing what condition(s) could give rise to the error message "Evernote is not ready to accept clips. Please open the database and try again." (desktop client and Windows 8.1). In my case, once I see that message i have to do a complete system refresh using a backup system image (Revo uninstaller hasn't been sufficient). And then the message comes up again after a while. I do not seem to have any recent notes that would have been created by the "clip screenshot" feature. Would regenerating the database immediately after a system reinstall be a suitable next step to take?

• Level 5*

I've occasionally been accused of recommending database refreshing too frequently,  but I think you have me beaten to be doing this regularly..  it shouldn't be necessary though in this situation.  In my experience I've had that message a couple of times when my system has been busy;  it seems to have been network traffic or processing cycles that caused the logjam,  and clipping resumed happily once that had eased.  In any case some clips are saved directly to the online database,  not to the one stored on your local desktop.  Can you confirm what browser(s) you are clipping from?  And what is the state of your internet connection when this problem occurs?  On / Off / Busy?

Gazumped, thank you for your post. In reply to your question, I use Chrome. However, the problem has not occurred when I am clipping or when I am using Evernote (desktop or web). It has only occurred when I have attempted to restart Evernote (desktop) after having previously closed the application. The error message says "open the database and try again" but that makes no sense to me since Evernote simply will not start. At that point I know I'm toast because uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote has not worked for me, and the only way I have found to revive Evernote is to do a complete refresh of my system using a backup image (admittedly, there must be a better way, but I haven't discovered it). Two questions: Based on this information, would you recommend a database refresh (I have no local notes)? And can I assume that when the error message says "not ready to accept clips" it is referring to web clips as opposed to screenshot clips?  Thank you.

• Level 5*

- And do you have a live internet connection when you're reconnecting?  If you want to go ahead and refresh the database,  then the easy way (which you probably already know) is to File > Exit Evernote and rename the databases folder on you device to databases.old,  then restart the app.  A new database will then be downloaded - which can take a while if you have lots of notes.

"Not ready tp accept clips" really mean clips of any kind from screengrabs/ shots to clips and bookmark URLs.

Archived