This "Beta" is really an "Alpha"

Lissismore

Idea

I should first say that I really like the new UI. It is very clean and modern (very Quip-like) and I think it will be great to use when it is finished. Which brings me to my point that labelling this a "Beta" has set expectations way to high for this update. In my view a Beta release has all (or most) of the functionality and we are testing for the rough edges in the implementation. This release is far from complete. When I first turned it on there were not even any Reminders (which are an important core feature). As I read many of the comments/complaints they seem appropriate if this were a true Beta - but if EN had labelled this as an Alpha test then I think everyone's expectations would have been set differently and the level complaints would have been drastically reduced.

My 2 cents. Keep up the good work Evernote. This app is an indispensable part of my life and I look forward to continued improvements.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Which brings me to my point that labelling this a "Beta" has set expectations way to high for this update. In my view a Beta release has all (or most) of the functionality and we are testing for the rough edges in the implementation. This release is far from complete.

but if EN had labelled this as an Alpha test then I think everyone's expectations would have been set differently and the level complaints would have been drastically reduced.

Several of us made this observation within a day or two of the initial release of the Web "Beta".

I find it very unprofessional for Evernote to inflict all these pains on its general user community without properly advising us of:

• The fact that major features were missing, and that the "Beta" release may not be appropriate for many users -- it may very well break their daily workflow.
  • How to easily revert to the normal, non-beta version

I suspect that most user don't know, and don't care, after the difference between "Alpha" and "Beta" releases of software -- they just want it to work well and continue to support their daily workflow.

Having tried the Beta version I have abandoned it as I don't like the restricted view it offers. It may be good for tablets but on my laptop or desktop I prefer the familiar columns on the left as it enables quicker access to tabs and notebooks.

I hope we are not all eventually forced to go over to the tablet style of Beta Evernote.

I'm not sure why "improving" a product these days almost always involves removing functionality. Consumers seem to be forced to accept more and more minimalistic interfaces which only offer limited functionality, while hiding advanced functionality deep within the app. This beta seems to be moving toward offering only the "most used" features... as if that can be truly defined... and putting some key functions under the "streamlined" interface. I don't care for this in Microsoft and Google's products, I'm hoping that Evernote doesn't also follow this unfortunate trend.  If I have to search for the function, I'm less likely to use the app. Maybe going back to notebooks, pen and paper is my best solution...

Archived