Evernote PDF Viewer. Don't Want Skitch

Is there anyway to view my PDFs on my Android device without constantly being prompted to install skitch? I would rather not. If I want to annotate my PDFs I'll install skitch, but I rarely if ever do. What I need to do is read them... Any thought or is this going to be another evernote ticket and unfortunate example of them removing functionality from Pro accounts? Don't mean to sound down on them, but they do make liking them difficult sometimes!

• Level 5*

Of course. Tap on the little menu icon at the right-hand side of the attachment, answer the prompt that says "View or Edit the Attachment?" with "View", select the app that you prefer to use, and tap on "Always". Now if you tap on the attachment, it will come up in the app that you chose. Isn't that standard for Android?

Appreciate it but maybe something has changed. This is a PDF in evernote (not on my Android). There is no view anymore (if ever there was since I used to just go straight to the attachment). There is only a prominent Edit button in the Evernote/Android UI. The right hand menu does not provide any viewing or editing options.

Edit: There is a "Go To Source" choice under the hidden menu, but then why did I bother to save it in Evernote? Just want to find it and open it when needed. 

(sounds like they let a developer near the menu rather than someone used to developing UIs... lol. Go to Source).

• Level 5*

The procedure that I described above is exactly what I did on an attachment contained in a note being viewed in the Evernote for Android client. Evernote version is 6.0(1060013). There's nothing about "Go To Source" in anything that I did.

Hmmm... OK... they are making it harder. And thanks. It is NOT intuitive. 

So, if you press the three dot menu ON the attachment (and you have to be careful here) it will open in Adobe. If you tap the attachment like you want to read it you get stich.

Go to Source is in the three dot menu, right hand, next to magnifying glass once you are in the actual note.

They really really need to go to UI school. Unfortunate, but now that I have office live, will be migrating away from these folks. Unfortunately, I got a free year when I go my latest android phone.

I still want that prompt to install skitch to go away. Sounds like they are trying to leverage that merger and its tech before they lose their investment in it any further.

• Level 5*

Hmmm... OK... they are making it harder. And thanks. It is NOT intuitive.

Show me where I ever said the word "intuitive" (hint; I don't use the word "intuitive" with respect to UI, since this is all learned behavior. We don't know this stuff when we come out of the womb). I will say that what I experienced when I walked through the procedure (which I did before my first reply to you to make sure that it worked), seemed pretty reasonable, per my Android experience. It's a pretty common scenario to select an app to deal with a particular document type, or so I thought. I've seen it in Android any number of times, when using other apps, anyways.

So, if you press the three dot menu ON the attachment (and you have to be careful here) it will open in Adobe. If you tap the attachment like you want to read it you get stich.

When I pressed that menu, I got the choice that I described above. When I selected "View", I got a choice of apps to view PDF file types. I chose "QuickOffice", then "Always". Thereafter, that's the app that I get when I tap on the icon and select "View" (there's a separate action for "Edit"). I was setting a viewing preference for that action/document type. Pretty standard Android stuff, I thought.

Go to Source is in the three dot menu, right hand, next to magnifying glass once you are in the actual note.

Not seeing "Go to Source", anywhere (not while I am viewing the note in Evernote, not while I am editing the note in Evernote; not on my phone, and not on my tablet). Sounds like a web browser sort of thing. Anyways, of course I was referring to the three-dot menu on the attachment, which seemed to be the place to start, since I wanted to operate on that attachment (a note can have more than one attachment, or different types of attachments).

They really really need to go to UI school. Unfortunate, but now that I have office live, will be migrating away from these folks. Unfortunately, I got a free year when I go my latest android phone.

Not from what I saw. But as I say, what I experienced seemed like a reasonable approach. I'm not an Android UI expert, but it seemed to fit in with the behavior I expect when operating an Android app. Since I can't replicate what you're seeing, I'll reserve judgment. Good luck with Office Live...

• Level 5*

OK, found the "Go to Source" menu item. That refers to the note URL, if there is one. You may have one that points at the URL for the PDF file that's in your note, and Android will try to take you there via a web browser, or possibly try to download it. I don't think that that's what you want.

Of course. Tap on the little menu icon at the right-hand side of the attachment, answer the prompt that says "View or Edit the Attachment?" with "View", select the app that you prefer to use, and tap on "Always". Now if you tap on the attachment, it will come up in the app that you chose. Isn't that standard for Android?

I am a Premium user and when I click the 3-dot menu icon on the attachment and select 'View' I do not get a list of apps I prefer to use, and I have Adobe Acrobat installed. Everytime I try and just view any of the .pdf's in my notes I am taken immediately to an "Install Skitch" page and I do not want to install Skitch as I do not plan on doing any annotations. Essentially Evernote has now taken away my ability to view pdf's directly in the app, which is extremely frustrating as I have lost a major feature of Evernote I love which is to store and view pdfs.

The only think I can think of why I may be getting a different result than you and cannot see other apps such as Adobe to use as my viewer, is I just finished installing CamScanner. Maybe this app has done something to my Evernote settings. 

Archived