How embedded files are synced

mb321

Idea

I need to know how a file stored in Evernote is synced.  If I store a Numbers file in Evernote (and not on my Mac) and make changes to the Numbers file, are those changes automatically synced the same way that changes to notes are synced?  I did a huge amount of work on a Numbers file assuming that the changes would be saved in that file.  They were not.  Why?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I need to know how a file stored in Evernote is synced.  If I store a Numbers file in Evernote (and not on my Mac) and make changes to the Numbers file, are those changes automatically synced the same way that changes to notes are synced?  I did a huge amount of work on a Numbers file assuming that the changes would be saved in that file.  They were not.  Why?

A Numbers file, like all Note Attachments, will be sync'd provided that:

• The Note is in a Sync'd Notebook, NOT a "Local Notebook"
  • You opened the file from from the EN Note.
  • You saved and closed the file after you made changes.
  • You then sync'd Evernote Mac, either manually or via auto-sync.

Just to be clear, ALL non-Local Note attachments are also stored on your Mac hard drive.  But you should NOT attempt to edit the attachment directly from the Finder.

• Level 5*

Yes, attachments are synced along with the note by design. Be sure that you have the actual Numbers file as the attachment, and not a link to an external file. And when editing, at least for the time being, make sure that the round-trip from note to editing and back to file is working correctly; in other words, check it on your local device before you worry about the synced version.

The Numbers file is only located in Evernote.  I did that purposely to make sure that Evernote would have the latest changes.  

I seem to be reading 2 different things:

• "Yes, attachments are synced along with the note by design"
  • "You saved and closed the file after you made changes."

So do I have to manually save the changes?  If not, how did they get lost? 

I also don't quite understand:

• "check it on your local device before you worry about the synced version."    

Does that mean I need to close and then reopen the file in Evernote?  That doesn't make sense unless I manually save the note.  Otherwise I run the same risk of losing my work.

Is there a better alternative to protecting my work?  I thought of using Dropbox and sharing the file to Evernote, but that seems to require a 3rd party program like Zapier.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. 

• Level 5*

The Numbers file is only located in Evernote.  I did that purposely to make sure that Evernote would have the latest changes.  

I seem to be reading 2 different things:

• "Yes, attachments are synced along with the note by design"
  • "You saved and closed the file after you made changes."
So do I have to manually save the changes?  If not, how did they get lost? 

I also don't quite understand:

• "check it on your local device before you worry about the synced version."    
Does that mean I need to close and then reopen the file in Evernote?  That doesn't make sense unless I manually save the note.  Otherwise I run the same risk of losing my work.

Is there a better alternative to protecting my work?  I thought of using Dropbox and sharing the file to Evernote, but that seems to require a 3rd party program like Zapier.

Thanks for helping me sort this out. 

The idea is that you open the file from Evernote. In the Windows client, that means that you double-click on the attachment (executes the Windows default handler for the file type) or right-click, Open With, to choose an editor. Edit the file, and then save it. Evernote notices that the file has been saved, and loads it back into your note. All you need to do is activate the attachment, edit it and save it; Evernote should take care of the rest. I assume that there's some similar mechanism for OS/X, but I'm not a Mac user. This works pretty seamlessly on the Windows side.

If you open the file from an external source like Finder, the above process will be circumvented, and Evernote won't know to load the modified document back into your note. Don't do that.

My suggestion is that you verify that this procedure works correctly before you move on to verifying that syncing of attachments to another device is working, as the above is not a sync issue.

Archived