How to disable "Automatically Check for Updates" in a managed environment

EddieS

We have Evernote 5x deployed in my Windows environment with all default options at the PC level (not at user level). Every time Evernote releases an update, End users calls to our support line because they try to install and it fails. 

Since it's a managed environment, our goal is to avoid having the user involved in any type of Software installs/updates or configuration changes.  

We will deploy silently. But in efforts to remove the Updates prompt centrally, we tested modifying the following Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\ CheckForUpdatesAtLaunch=0

No luck. Modifying it in the registry does not  Remove the the Check from "Automatically check for update" on the program under Tools>Options>General

However, when I uncheck it from the Evernote program it does remove it from the registry. 

There was nothing in the registry under HKLM to modify that Evernote setting. 

Btw, the test PCs were all restarted with every change during the test so lets filter out those .. have you tried PC restarts.. relies. 

Any suggestions? Can someone perform the same test and indicate if they received the same or different results.

Any know if Evernote has a version (or planning) that includes a Windows service to AutoUpdate the app similar to the way Google does?

post-219304-0-86450300-1409398810_thumb.

post-219304-0-92377500-1409398811_thumb.

Welcome to the forum :)

Right setting, slightly wrong (though not obvious) process.

If evernote is running (as I understand it, specifically EvernoteTray.exe) then you will have trouble changing settings.

When Evernote is quit (File - Exit) then it will save it's current settings to the Registry. If you have changed them in the mean time then you will find that they are overwritten.

Try quitting Evernote via File - Exit, then changing the setting. This appears to work for me.

Scott

That makes logical sense since Evernote was running in SysTray during the registry changes. Tested your suggestion.....works!!!!

Thank you for prompt solution!!!!

BTW- Are you aware if Evernote plans to release silent auto update feature?

No Problem :) I have been messing with the EN Registry entries for ages now, so it has almost become muscle memory to Quit EN before running Regdit :D

Evernote don't typically announce any roadmaps or plans too much (if at all) really. So if they were planning on such a thing, we probably wouldn't know. Certainly not something that I have heard of I'm afraid.

• Level 5*

We have Evernote 5x deployed in my Windows environment with all default options at the PC level (not at user level). Every time Evernote releases an update, End users calls to our support line because they try to install and it fails. 

Since it's a managed environment, our goal is to avoid having the user involved in any type of Software installs/updates or configuration changes.  

This seems to be a closely related post you made:

Any suggestion to perform silent Auto-Updates in a managed environment

As I stated in that thread, "Are you sure you really want all of your users to auto-update before you have a chance to test the new version?  IMO, this is very dangerous for any any software, including Evernote."

Archived