Outlining in Evernote vs. Microsoft Word vs. Gmail

laffingleigh

Idea

Like many thousands of people, I'm sure, I use Microsoft Word, Gmail, AND Evernote (the downloaded version for my Mac). My one issue is that copying and pasting outlines/bullets between these programs is not working appropriately. Here's the breakdown (using those lovely bullets):

• Copying from Gmail to Word: works!
  • Copying from Gmail to Evernote: works!
  • Copying from Word to Gmail: works, but with extra carriage returns. It suddenly became double spaced.
  • Copying from Word to Evernote: problematic. First line of bullets don't appear, but indented bullets show up
  • Copying from Evernote to Gmail: All bullets lost!!! ???
  • Copying from Evernote to Word: All bullets left aligned!! ??? (workaround--on each line, one-by-one, type shift-tab)

So there seems to be issues all around, but mostly with coming from Evernote to other programs. Can this be fixed?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It's been discussed a lot (an awful lot) so I'm sure that Evernote are well aware of the issue.

For outlining (which I don't do a lot), I tend to use Workflowy (workflow.com) - it's a very powerful outlining tool and copies well into Evernote.

Like many thousands of people, I'm sure, I use Microsoft Word, Gmail, AND Evernote (the downloaded version for my Mac). My one issue is that copying and pasting outlines/bullets between these programs is not working appropriately. Here's the breakdown (using those lovely bullets):

• Copying from Word to Gmail: works, but with extra carriage returns. It suddenly became double spaced.
  • Copying from Word to Evernote: problematic. First line of bullets don't appear, but indented bullets show up
  • Copying from Evernote to Word: All bullets left aligned!! ??? (workaround--on each line, one-by-one, type shift-tab)

So there seems to be issues all around, but mostly with coming from Evernote to other programs. Can this be fixed?

Perhaps this is a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a reason you want to create these outlines in so many different places? I.e., if you know the final destination of an outline, why not create it in that program and leave it there? Or is this purely for backup reasons?

Perhaps this is a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a reason you want to create these outlines in so many different places? I.e., if you know the final destination of an outline, why not create it in that program and leave it there? Or is this purely for backup reasons?

That's the point. I created something in Evernote that I didn't think I'd have to take out, but sometimes I need to transfer it for editing, sending, or compatibility purposes.

Archived