(Archived) Exceeded my Quota

pbj

My Windows 8 desktop client was a little slow in keeping up with my usage. I dragged a lot of files into my shared folder until I reached about 3/4 of my monthly limit. (I wanted to save room for normal usage for the remaining weeks.) So I stopped, and went on to something else.

I came back to my computer about 30 minutes later to see an error message stating that I had exceeded my quota and did i want to buy more space. I said no, and went to check my usage. Sure enough, it was now at the limit. Disappointed.

So, now I have no clue what was synced, and what was not synced due to my hitting the limit.

I understand and accept the rules, BUT...

When my monthly quota resets, will the remaining data upload and sync, or do I have some data, somewhere, that I think is safely in the cloud, but never will be?

Thanks.

-pbj.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not sure what you mean by 'shared folder' - do you mean an Import Folder?  If so,  anything that wouldn't upload should be in that folder - but no guarantees.  I've said before that the upload quota is a limit not a target,  and like all limits bad things can happen if you exceed it.  

It's up to the user to make sure that exceptions don't arise.  While I've argued in the past that Evernote could use a lot more empathy when you're getting close to the limit - like with 75% / 90% and STOP NOW warnings when you get close,  it can't do much if there's a batch operation running to import a bunch of files and halfway through the list the limit starts to get tight.

Local folders don't impact your limit,  so the trick if you're unsure might be to set your import folder to use a local folder so you know exactly what impact your notes will have in Evernote.  You can then move notes form a local folder into Evernote until you get close to the limit,  then stop and wait for the roll-over into your next month.  You can still be adding notes to the local folder.  Once you've blown the limit out of the water though Evernote tends to be unfriendly until it has reset.

The upload limit is like a clifftop sign that says "Do not get close to the edge"  - you can walk past it,  but you may not enjoy the result...

Thanks, gazumped.

While I have definitely learned how to work with Evernote in the future, it is too late to change what I have already done.

I understand from your answer, and from my reading around the forum, that no one really knows if Evernote will pick up and sync the data I've already overloaded.

I guess I've got a big comparison task to do in 16 days when my quota resets.

Thanks again for your answer.

-pbj.

Thanks, gazumped.

While I have definitely learned how to work with Evernote in the future, it is too late to change what I have already done.

I understand from your answer, and from my reading around the forum, that no one really knows if Evernote will pick up and sync the data I've already overloaded.

I guess I've got a big comparison task to do in 16 days when my quota resets.

Thanks again for your answer.

-pbj.

I rarely hit my limit b/c I like to leave some wiggle room. But I'm pretty sure EN will take up syncing where it left off, after your limit refreshes. You should be able to sort the results pane in in the list view of the Windows client by the sync column. Anything with a dot in that column has not been sync'd.

Thanks, BurgersNFries. I tried to leave "wiggle room", but I didn't yet understand the latency between the client and the server.

I do now.

Thank you for answering my question.

-pbj.

Archived