(Archived) Apple Sync Question

We are a small but fast growing concern. We need a "One Note solution" on Mac OS X ML/Mavs and iOS7.  Because of operations in remote 

regions, we would prefer wireless sync between devices, not iCloud.  USB sync will be preferred, though.

Does Evernote allow for this and how much will it cost to equip 5 users, each with iPhone 5/5S and Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion or  Mavericks?

I am migrating from a Linux/Windows environment to Mac only. I sorely miss MS OneNote!

iOS7 disappoints by not allowing Mac Notes to sync via iTunes - not via USB, not via Bluetooth and not via wifi. Also, between OSX ML and iOS7, it tells me that my iPhone 5 is an "unsupported device" when trying to pair via Bluetooth.

Perhaps I should have stayed with Windows 8 and Companionlink and used a Lumia 1020 instead??

How does Evernote sync?  The information here is a bit overwhelming to a newcomer.

If you need local sync with Mavericks, you may want to look and springing for the Mavericks Server ($20). It will allow you to sync locally between your iOS and Mac devices. I know it does calendar and contacts. I think it does notes as well. There's still no way to do USB.

Evernote doesn't allow syncing by USB and an Internet connection is required as all syncing goes through the Evernote servers.

Best of luck.

You might consider DevonTHINK. It's not as cheap as Evernote but it is a bit more flexible in terms of how it can be deployed in institutional settings. Local sync is possible. I have never used it, but I have heard many people talk about it, mostly with praise. http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonthink/devonthink-pro.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at their products now, contacted them and had a rather friendly response from a cheerful gent called Jim Neumann.  I am really impressed.  :)

• Level 5*

You might consider DevonTHINK. It's not as cheap as Evernote but it is a bit more flexible in terms of how it can be deployed in institutional settings. Local sync is possible. I have never used it, but I have heard many people talk about it, mostly with praise. http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/devonthink/devonthink-pro.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at their products now, contacted them and had a rather friendly response from a cheerful gent called Jim Neumann.  I am really impressed.  :)

DevonThink is pretty powerful, though it is (in my opinion) a tough interface to learn. One cool feature is that you can point it to your Evernote files and it will index all of the data there. In other words, you could use both apps with ease. In the end, you'll have to be moving data without the internet, and a local notebook in Evernote will work similarly to DevonThink.

• Level 5*

Come to think about it, there is no such thing as USB sync. You would be overwriting data, not syncing, unless you are hooked up to some kind of network in the same office. Let's say employee A was working on a document on their computer, then B opened it and worked on it as well. In comes C with the USB stick, moves the files onto their computers, and the old data overwrites the new, right? The same thing is going to happen with DevonThink.

Does OneNote "sync" through Wifi or a USB with other computers? It didn't when I last used it, but maybe things have changed. I think what you miss isn't OneNote, but the Internet!

VoodooPad offers a wifi data sync with your iOS device, and this is one reason I recommend it as a secure note-taking solution. This would probably be a good way to go, but I haven't tried it with multiple computers and devices. You'd have to ask the developer about that.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=62

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

In the end, though, for multiple devices, I doubt you are going to see a benefit over Evernote with these. If you want to transfer with USB from computer A to computer B in a remote region, then they'll all work the same.

DevonThink is pretty powerful, though it is (in my opinion) a tough interface to learn. One cool feature is that you can point it to your Evernote files and it will index all of the data there. In other words, you could use both apps with ease. In the end, you'll have to be moving data without the internet, and a local notebook in Evernote will work similarly to DevonThink.

I live in the 3rd world and I understand the practicalities of unreliable, interrupted or nonexistent "cloud cover" in ways nobody in London or New York can. Perhaps, just sometime, it is better to factor in circumstances others may be experiencing.  Do not assume that if it works in LA, that it will also work in Contonou or Maputo.  Cloud computing is a most stupid idea, already when simultaneous global disasters get anticipated. Increased warfare with governments already restricting or even blocking out ams text messaging, broadband, etc. Think of how nature had become haywire and disasters are on the increase.  Telling me at the tip of Africa to rely upon servers in LA, NY and Frankfurt will be met with disgust.  300m people in the USA thinks that the other 6.3bn people globally share the same user experience.  No, we have it differently and we are the majority.  Time to adapt your ways, Mr Systems Developer!!  Programmers seem to be especially short-sighted, narrow-minded and seemingly never leave their dungeons to get some sunshine upon them.  I find it tiresome when people cannot see the bigger picture, even when it is right in one's face.

A tough interface to learn is like red meat placed before a tiger. It sounds tempting, another summit to reach!  Never be scared of learning new tricks.

Someone asked about OneNote and USB sync. 

Firstly, I am talking about my own data as User A to my own devices 1, 2 and 3. iPhone, iPad and Macbook.  Not sync between User A, B and C.

Secondly, OneNote syncs beautifully over USB or Bluetooth as does Outlook. One can even use an old Nokia feature phone for this, some Asha models will do this and so do the N- and E-series.  It means that I do not need to spend a fortune on ICT solutions.  If I did not hate the guts of Windows 8 with a fiery passion, I may have stayed just there.  Microsoft is programming itself off the globe, seemingly hell-bent upon destroying themselves.

Archived