(Archived) JPEG'S not indexed and thus not searchable

I'm using my iPhone and iPad to take various pictures and screenshots. I've set up IFTTT to transfer pics to Evernote folders automatically. Taking a picture of a business card would be an example here. I cannot find key words in these photos using Evernote search function. The status of the note in the "info" section states that "no attachments have been indexed". I thought maybe I just needed to give Evernote's servers time to index this files, but it's now been two days. Any thoughts? 

I'll weigh in with what will be probably viewed as heretical.  While indexing text found in images is interesting, I personally find it to not be reliable enough to be able to locate a note, but at the same time result in false positives in searches.  

I image most business cards I receive either with my phone's camera or on one of several scanners.  In one case, I have a card that was imaged on a flat bed scanner. The card got skewed when I closed the scanner lid and the image is probably about 20 degrees off the horizontal.  Still, that card will come up with no problem if I search on company name or street name. 

Another card for a business on the same road (which is why this example sticks in my mind) is a straight and perfectly clear image, good contrast and lighting and has been imaged with both a phone camera and scanner, but for the life of me, Evernote will not find it based on the image.  

And then there was a note written by my vet for a dosage of glucosomene for my dog.  The vet probably took a penmanship class at the medical school. The note was written in a hurry on a paper towel and was then folded up and creased. I took a picture of it with the phone camera.  Still, I type in "Gluco" the image will pop up with the handwriting high lighted. . 

I guess the take away is that I don't rely on indexing text in images but rather use descriptive titles and tags.  YMMV

I'll weigh in with what will be probably viewed as heretical.  While indexing text found in images is interesting, I personally find it to not be reliable enough to be able to locate a note, but at the same time result in false positives in searches.  

I image most business cards I receive either with my phone's camera or on one of several scanners.  In one case, I have a card that was imaged on a flat bed scanner. The card got skewed when I closed the scanner lid and the image is probably about 20 degrees off the horizontal.  Still, that card will come up with no problem if I search on company name or street name. 

Another card for a business on the same road (which is why this example sticks in my mind) is a straight and perfectly clear image, good contrast and lighting and has been imaged with both a phone camera and scanner, but for the life of me, Evernote will not find it based on the image.  

And then there was a note written by my vet for a dosage of glucosomene for my dog.  The vet probably took a penmanship class at the medical school. The note was written in a hurry on a paper towel and was then folded up and creased. I took a picture of it with the phone camera.  Still, I type in "Gluco" the image will pop up with the handwriting high lighted. . 

I guess the take away is that I don't rely on indexing text in images but rather use descriptive titles and tags.  YMMV

I don't know why you think this is heretical. As I said, indexing text from images differs from indexing pure text in that it produces a tree of possibilities. The example I also gave (house/horse) is an example of false positives as well. I do find that indexing of clear text (not handwriting) in images seems to work well for me. But I prefer to not rely upon the EN's indexing, whenever possible. So yes, after I scan a business card, I change the title to include the name of the company and/or the person. This is also helpful if I need to refine my search. IOW, if searching on "aetna joe smith" produces too many results, I can do an intitle search of "aetna joe smith".

BnF,

"heretical" comment wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular.  I just find it somewhat odd and interesting that folks seem to get upset when the text-in-image indexing doesn't seem to work for them, when in reality, while it is an interesting application, it can often provide too much stuff back at you.  Sometimes I wish I could turn it off.  Like you, I think titles and tags are the way to go. But to each his own. 

Archived