(Archived) How to permanent delete attachments in the cloud ?

macaroni

Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

I really love Evernote. But when i delete an attachment (for exemple a .xlsx) on a synchronized note i would like to delete the related file on the Evernote servers for confidentiality reasons. If i resync the note, the related file still exists.

There is a way to delete no longer used files on the cloud ?

Thank you

Mac'

Hi Mac and welcome to the forum,

If it is your Notebook and you delete a Note it should not come back.

It will be in the Trash and need deleting from there as well of course.

Have you tried deleting from the web?

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried deleting from the web and from local (Windows app).

You're right, if i delete a note all media inside will be delete too. But if i just delete the file icon with DEL Key but want to keep the note the file still will be on Evernote servers. I would like a way to purge all files on the cloud i don't use anymore. I don't think it's possible.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried deleting from the web and from local (Windows app).

You're right, if i delete a note all media inside will be delete too. But if i just delete the file icon with DEL Key but want to keep the note the file still will be on Evernote servers. I would like a way to purge all files on the cloud i don't use anymore. I don't think it's possible.

Thanks.

One of Evernote's normally good points is that it offers version control and backup in one.  If you make changes to a note that you subsequently regret,  you can revert to a former version (if you're a Prem user).  The downside though is that previous copies remain around to haunt you. 

If you were happy to have this information in Evernote at all however,  why now be so concerned to delete it forever?  (Unless we're talking about your Secret Plans to Dominate The Universe and you don't want anyone to realise there's an access shaft on the Death Star surface that goes straight to the reactor... oops - sorry.)

Seriously.  The way to delete an attachment forever is to delete the attachment and then make a copy of the note;  and then delete the original. (Untested!!).

That should ensure that the note history dies with the original note.  In individual cases you could ask Support to trash any attachments,  but that would be impractical (and unpopular with them) as a regular thing.

It could be a useful option in the Trash folder to offer a 'delete forever' feature - but you can bet there's soon be someone here saying "I chose that option by mistake and I desperately need a file reinstated..."

Archived