Going Paperless: The "Best" Scan Settings

• Level 5*

I thought I would share with everyone what I think are the "best" scan settings for materials that have Chinese or Japanese in them. Broadly speaking, I think the results I found in my tests apply to other languages like English, which are less complicated and allow for a little more flexibility.

If I am scanning something in Chinese or Japanese for my research, I generally use 600 dpi with black and white settings, because this is the best combination of readability, scan speed, and OCR (Optical Character Recognition) results. If I want better readability, especially for a poorly printed text, I'll use grayscale. The scan speed is slower, and the OCR results are not as good, but I will be able to zoom in and make out more details than I could with black and white. This is especially nice on the iPad with the retina display, which enables me to easily view text almost as well as I could with a magnifying lens and the original paper page.

The link below shows the Evernote and Adobe OCR results for the PDF files, and the Evernote results for the images.

https://www.evernote...ab85e8d1f58f252

Thanks Grumpy.

I only use English text but your settings definitely do apply. In fact, I did my own testing and ended up with almost the exact same conclusions. The only difference is that much of what I scan is crumpled receipts or things like my electric bill which is printed in almost-black on yellow paper so I opted for grayscale as the default. B&W is just a bit too unforgiving for most of what I scan.

If anyone else is looking for the best scan settings I'd say start with Grumpy's settings and adjust to meet your specific needs.

Archived