Tip: Create a link back to the Outlook item when you create a note from Outlook

phils

• Level 5*

When you use the Evernote Outlook add-in to create a note from an Outlook email (or other item), Evernote does a great job of retaining the formatting of the Outlook item.

However, what you don't get is a link back to the Outlook item. So if you are looking at your note and want to access the originating item - say, to reply to the email - you're out of luck.

But there's a free third-party tool that solves this problem: Linker for Windows. (OK, full disclosure, I was one of the developers of the tool way back when I was running TeamScope.)

Important note, though: in Outlook 2007 and 2010, Microsoft disabled the protocol that allows you to access an Outlook item from an external link. You can restore this capability via a one-time change to your Windows registry; see details about how to do that here. You will need to make this change in order for Linker to work.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tip Phil - I'm trying out the free tool as we speak, and I expect that it will help generate linkable addresses in more situations than just Outlook items. It is worth noting that a URL linking back to your Outlook email is one that will work only on the machine that generates it - up to now I've been drag/ dropping emails to my desktop, and saving the actual email file in a note; which in theory means that Outlook (any Outlook) will open it as an email to which you could respond if it's drag/ dropped from the note into an Outlook. Not exactly sure that's a whole lot better than your tip, but it's an option at least...

More on Linker if it works well...

• Level 5*

Hi Gaz,

That's a good point. One technical note...

a URL linking back to your Outlook email is one that will work only on the machine that generates it

That's very true if one is not on MS Exchange and is thus storing one's Outlook info in a .PST file. If one is using Outlook as an Exchange client, then the link will be valid on any machine that's connected to that same Exchange information store.

• 1 month later...

Hi, downloaded LInker for Windows, did the registry edits and just keep getting error message when clicking link in Evernote: "The command line argument is not valid.Verify the switch you are using." Searched a lot on this error message, but still no answer/tweak that works. Any suggestions? It would really be great to get this to work.

• Level 5*

OK - that's exactly the same version as mine, but my extension works.. Not exactly helpful I know. Sorry, but with a third party app, unless uncle Phil comes back to the conversation with more insights, my only suggestion can be to recheck the setup process and the Reg changes again to make sure they are all in place. You do need to restart your system (obviously) for the reg changes to take effect..

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank you for the tip. It really works.

However; I faced with some challenges and would like to know if you have any solution for them:

1. After I process my email item and send it to EN, I always move it into another folder. The link created by Linker is not working after I move outlook item into another location. Do you have any solution for that? I believe that is a common scenario for everyone as they want to process email first then archive it or move into another location in order to have an empty inbox. (so in my case, Inbox is the location contains items that needs to be processed)

2. When I click into Add to EN button in Outlook and transfer outlook item to EN, in order to add link back to that item in EN:

i. I need to find Linker tray icon then right click

ii. Click "Outlook Item Link" from the menu popups after right clicking on Linker System Tray icon

iii. Paste the link into newly generated EN note body

Is this the process needs to be followed in order to have link back to that Outlook item? What I expect is/was:

a. That Outlook Item link has be added automatically when I click Add to EN button in Outlook (I know that is about EN add-in functionality and probably is not supported)

b. There has to be a practical way to copy Outlook Item Link into clipboard like a shortcut (ctrl+L or something like that) so no need to follow all 3 procedures I listed above.

I would like to kindly ask how you solve these above issues?

Thanks

Tried several times and restarted. Same error message each time. I am not a Evernote Premium user, but that should not be the reason. Thanks for the help but still not working for me.

Do you use 64 bit OS? If yes, then you need to modify all paths in registry for Program Files unless you are using 64 bit Outlook. (that was the problem I faced)

• 1 month later...

I must be a moron, but I've installed the Linker application, the icon does not appear in the tray, and I can't find any way to launch it. It installed without problem and shows as installed in the Control Panel. I've restarted Windows a couple of times.

My system is Windows 7 Enterprise. I'm using Outlook 2007 and have made the registry changes, but, obviously, I'm not getting far enough for the Outlook version to matter.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread, hoping that EN-developers catch on. In the Gmail clipper (or formally the "web clipper for Chrome") you have exactly this feature: click the clipper function and get a copy of the mail in your default EN notbook. This email is augmented with a link "Open conversation in Gmail". It works like a charm! This is exactly what I need for outlook too.

Archived