(Archived) Outlook Notes

apneamd

• Level 5*

There's no way that I can see to directly import MS Notes, but starting in Outlook you can export to a variety of file types from CSV to Access and Excel. Depending on your content and your ability with those external apps could you export to something, massage the content into a reasonable format (and seperate files) and then export to another format and import to Evernote?

If you're a Prem user you could embed an entire Excel file/ several files as a quick fix.

Luis,

You should be able to import Outlook Notes using Evernote Outlook Add-on (Outlook clipper).

If you've installed Evernote on the the same computer where you have Outlook, you should

see the Evernote button in your Outlook toolbar. Simply select the notes that you

wish to import and click the button.

Thanks,

Max

• Level 5*

Try maxikk's version first - he has the benefit of being right! If you select multiple notes in Outlook and click the Evernote Add-0n button, you get multiple notes in Evernote - no need to export / import or mess with formatting. You'll gather I'm a follower of the "if at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer" method of data management, but the simplest solutions are often the best :)

Tried maxikk's method. Worked real well. I had envisioned some way of importing all my notes, then going through them and deleting the ones i didn't need. If i know myself, i would have not taken the time to do the deleting and now would have a lot of ***** in Evernote. This worked better because it forced me to go through every note and deciding whether i still need it or not, and tagging each note. Very cool! Thanks maxikk

Luis,

You should be able to import Outlook Notes using Evernote Outlook Add-on (Outlook clipper).

If you've installed Evernote on the the same computer where you have Outlook, you should

see the Evernote button in your Outlook toolbar. Simply select the notes that you

wish to import and click the button.

Thanks,

Max

Max it would useful if this piece of information were in the knowledge base. The article there only refers to Outlook Tasks.

Which versions of Outlook are supported? I have just installed Evernote for Windows 4 on the same computer and account as my Outlook, but I do not see any Evernote button on the Outlook toolbar. The version of Outlook I have is Outlook 2002 SP3.

That version of Outlook handles toolbar add-ins. I already have toolbar buttons for ESET Security and PDF Converter.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron:

I am using Outlook 2003 in a Small Business Server environment. I did not see any such Evernote icon anywhere, but if you right-click on the note, you get a drop down menu which includes an option to "Save to Evernote". Furthermore, if you press control and choose which notes you want, you can make it a faster process, but the caveat is that all those notes will have the same Tag, so be careful chosing your notes. Also, in the very bottom of the left sided panel, I found a little Tab which I think has no label or distinguishing features, which offers the same functionality; perhaps this is the same Icon Max was referring to. Good luck

Luis

Sorry, definitely no elephant in the room here :-)

When I right click on a Outlook note I get the options for my other extension, Eset Security, but not for Evernote. Also Evernote does not appear on on any toolbar, menu or unused menu options.

Outlook 2002 doesn't have icons in a small pane on the left hand side (I did a quick google search of images for Outlook 2003 to see what you mean, and the two versions are definitely different).

I also checked the add-ins manager for COM Add-ins and found that Evernote is listed (C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteOL.dll) and theoretically loaded on Outlook start up.

Just doesn't appear to be functioning.

Simplest way at this stage will be to select a note, click in the note, select All using Ctrl-A, then copy to Evernote using the Evernote Tray Tool by pressing Win-A.

Edit: ... and repeat the above over 500 times. :-( Will force me to do a clean out!

Ron

• Level 5*
Sorry, definitely no elephant in the room here :-)

Simplest way at this stage will be to select a note, click in the note, select All using Ctrl-A, then copy to Evernote using the Evernote Tray Tool by pressing Win-A.

Ron

Don't know what export options MSO2002 has, but if you have an option to dump all your files into a csv (or another compatible) format you could try that, or can you send a note by email? Use your friendly neighborhood @Evernote address (for a couple of trials) and see if that helps...

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just created these steps for my dad, who is 65 and technologically challenged... Saving Outlook Express (2007 or later version only) Notes to Evernote

type this link into your web browser:

click "download latest version"  follow installation wizard

restart computer

Open Outlook 

look for green elephant button at top right side of your outlook window

Open Evernote program

create a username and password (or enter your existing account info)

click file > new notebook

name the new Notebook "Outlook Notes"

click OK

In Evernote, go to 
tools > clipping preferences > 

make sure "outlook notes" is selected in the drop down box  
   (If you haven't used Evernote before now, you might not have a dropdown box.  If so, ignore this step and go on to the next.

UNcheck "open clipped note in new window" and "show clipping notifications"
   (If you don't do this step, you'll have a bunch of new windows pop up - one for each note you're moving to evernote)

open your Outlook notes

single click on the first note  

Press Ctrl + A

All of your notes should now be highlighted

Click the green elephant button

click "add notes"

It might take a few minutes, depending on how many notes you have.  But once it's finished, you should be able to see all of your notes in the Evernote program

:)

I hope this helps those of you who need a more clearly written, step-by-step guide for this process, like my dad did.  He had no trouble at all.

Archived