(Archived) Notebook Sharing (premium) not allowing edits

mattkeane

Idea

A co-worker and I both have premium accounts so we can leverage notebook sharing. I am the notebook owner of ALL notebooks and then they are shared to my co-worker. I find that I have zero issues with access, and he is permitted to modify the notebooks, yet he is not able to do things like 1) delete notes or 2) move notes from one notebook to another. There are other minor issues but these two make it very painful. What could be going wrong?

We are both on Version 2.1.1 (146398) and are both on Mac OS 10.6.7. Both are premium accounts.

Thanks.

Matt Keane

9 replies to this idea

A co-worker and I both have premium accounts so we can leverage notebook sharing. I am the notebook owner of ALL notebooks and then they are shared to my co-worker. I find that I have zero issues with access, and he is permitted to modify the notebooks, yet he is not able to do things like 1) delete notes or 2) move notes from one notebook to another.

The preference for how this should work will probably vary widely with end-users.

My preference, as the OWNER of the Notes, would be to keep the permissions as they are.

I would NOT want any of the users who had shared access to delete or move any of the shared notes or Notebooks.

Perhaps a workaround would be to create tags the shared user could assign to indicate "delete" and "move", which you could process later.

Another thought is to reconsider your organizational strategy.

If you are currently relying heavily on Notebooks, consider using Tags instead of Notebooks where you can. You may find this is objectionable at first. I did. I would like hierarchical Notebooks. But it appears this is not going to happen any time soon. So, perhaps you can develop a tag strategy to achieve you organizational objectives.

Thanks. Yes, your idea of tagging is a good one. However, I am trying to determine if this is expected behavior or not. If yes, then I think it's short sighted and needs fixing. The modify/share page clearly says 'delete' is an option of that shared privilege which is why we bought the premium. If this is indeed not supported, then that page needs to be updated.

I am hoping this is a big of sorts and can be fixed.

Thanks.

However, I am trying to determine if this is expected behavior or not. If yes, then I think it's short sighted and needs fixing. The modify/share page clearly says 'delete' is an option of that shared privilege which is why we bought the premium. If this is indeed not supported, then that page needs to be updated. .

I agree.

I just verified the sharing options and it does indeed state for the "Modify this notebook" option:

"view, create, edit, and delete notes".

Deletion is not supported, as that could be potentially dangerous (you don't want someone you've simply shared a notebook with to be able to delete all the notes in your account, do you?) - the page has a typo and it is already on file for the earliest possible update.

Unfortunately, we actually have to take down our entire site just to update small things like that, so we have to wait for maintenance windows.

If you are not satisfied with your Premium subscription we will be happy to issue a refund. Please file a support request via the link in my signature and someone from the Support department will be happy to assist you.

So quick to offer me a refund...I am a little surprised. There are other great features I love and use. I was simply stating that sharing and the features noted were a large part of the lure.

Sharing and other collabortion features are one of the strongest use cases and will draw more corporate clients like myself into the product so I hope I see more features around sharing in the future.

That said, my feedback is that if you share a book with another premium account with the spirit of colobaration in mind, then delete should be part of that. I think it should be an option. Perhaps having different options when sharing to modify, delete, as different options you can set. As a failsafe, you can revert to a backup.

What about being able to take a note from the designated notebook that catches emails, and being able to assign it via the drop down and putting it in another notebook?

We always offer refunds for unsatisfied customers. But if a person has upgraded to Premium based on a suggestion of a feature that we do not have, especially because of a typo on our website, I would not want their entire experience soured by that. Many people do have other reasons to upgrade, but the majority of people actually do end up choosing to upgrade for *one* reason - it's that *key* feature that puts them over the edge.

If note deletion in shared notebooks was your *one* thing, then we've failed you and its my job to make it right however I can. I can't change the product overnight - I can't even fix the wording on the website that quickly, but I can get you your money back.

Why not just email directly into the notebook you want?

It can be a workflow issue in group collaboration. All new notes might come into a "Inbox" notebook, and then you might have one (or more) persons (not account owners) who have the task of processing the Inbox -- moving Notes to the appropriate NB or deleting them (like junk mail).

The ideal solution would be to offer a set of permissions that can be individually selected when you share the NB with a person. This is much like assigning Windows folder permissions on a Windows Server. These permissions might include:

• [*:2db1i601]View
    [*:2db1i601]Create
    [*:2db1i601]Edit
    [*:2db1i601]Move
    [*:2db1i601]Delete
    [*:2db1i601]Edit/Assign Tags

Archived