(Archived) sub notebooks

Hello,

Before I starting using evernote I was an ms onenote user.

In there we were able to create multiple notebooks and inside there we had tabs which I thought of as sub notebooks.

The way I used it was I had a notebook for my day job. I was then able to create tabs for projects.

I cannot seem to find the similar functionality in Evernote yet. Right now I am creating 1 notebook per big project or just storing all my notes under 1 notebook.

I been using the tags to help out, if something is login information for a site I will tag it login to help with that kind of stuff.

Here is a sample layout that I would do in onenote. we'll call the main notebook dayjob

dayjob

-Projects

--Project 1

---Logins

---Phone Calls

---Programming Notes

--Project 2

---Logins

---Phone Calls

---Programming Notes

-Server Administration

-Web References

-Clients

--Client 1

--Client 2

Thanks!

Randy

The list of notebooks is flat, but you can place tags within other tags to make the sort of hierarchies you are describing. I.e. you could make a "dayjob" tag, and then a "Projects" tag, and then drag "Projects" under "dayjob". This would allow you to collapse the top-level tags that you're not currently working with.

Dengberg forgets to mention that you will never have a real hierarchy in EN3 (it is still a promise but we are still waiting). You will have an indent capacity tho, and a show-hide functionality.

(EN 2.2.1 is absolutely hierarchical)

I would advise you to make a simple change. There is a rule that states "no repetition"... and you have lots of repetitions (loggins, phonecalls)

So it would be perhaps best to have a list of tag (with or without indent, just to be able to show, not show)

Projects

--Project 1

--Project 2

--Project 3

Logins

Phone calls

Programming notes

Clients

--Client 1

--Client 2

So you can make a note, and tag it with Project 1, Logins oranother note tagged with Project 2, Phone calls, Programming notes (if it is a phone call about a problem of a subprogram in project 2)

This will work in EN3 as everything must be tagged if you want to recover it later (very ennoying indeed compared to EN 2.2.1 where your desire could have been fulfilled exactly as you had put it....and more)

You will have to wait also for the desktop version to allow the same as the web version (multi selection, any: search ...) and the mobile version also.

Tom

Dengberg forgets to mention that you will never have a real hierarchy in EN3 (it is still a promise but we are still waiting). You will have an indent capacity tho, and a show-hide functionality.

(EN 2.2.1 is absolutely hierarchical)

A hierarchy is just a system of persons or things ranked one above another. Evernote Beta tags are an organizational hierarchy to help you organize and find your tags. Tags are an organizational tool to help you find your notes.

The organizational tag hierarchy is not semantic: in randy's example, a note tagged with "Web References" does not automatically become tagged with "dayjob" just because "Web References" sits below "dayjob" in the organizational tag hierarchy.

Ending with the semantic use of organizational or hierarchical, I think our reader was speaking about sub notebooks... like sub branches of a major branch...

In EN2 spirit (Parent-child relationship), the indenting was effectively denotating a relationship of "belonging". So you could have a parent, double click on it and have all its children (and grand children and grand.....) selected. (We can say branch, subbranch, subsubbranch...downto the leaf in the Tree kind of relationship).

Dengberg is stating you have organization of indents to show or hide (only) what is indented. Nothing else.

On the other side he says:

a note tagged with "Web References" does not automatically become tagged with "dayjob" just because "Web References" sits below "dayjob" in the organizational tag hierarchy
and he is right.

A branch has nothing to do with other branch (on the same level) BELOW

But a branch might (or might not depending on the programming) have to do with the (normally indented) subbranch...In EN3, it does not. In En2 it does.

Hope it clarifies

Tom

Archived