An opportunity - using Evernote as a personal learning tool

stu_ck

Idea

I believe there is an opportunity for a 'Personal Learning App'. A tool that makes it easy to gather, annotate and curate resources and to link these to personal learning goals (including self-testing and tracking progress). Evernote already has functionality that broadly meets this goal - but the interface isn't very tailored to this need and there are *some* missing features. Part of meeting the interface need would be to allow the creation of a new folder type or 'view' (e.g. Learning Path folder type) that presents the notes in that folder in a different way and allows new interface elements and content to sit 'around' the list of notes in that folder (see attached image with VERY badly drawn sketch 😃). Sometimes it is the elegance and 'fit' of the interface that counts, not just the functionality - this can be the thing that makes an app amazing rather than just OK ('I can sort of make this app do this thing but it feels a bit inelegant and a bit of a 'kludge').

Starter Project - 2019-04-22 13.49.11 2.png

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, stu_ck said:

Part of meeting the interface need would be to allow the creation of a new folder type or 'view' (e.g. Learning Path folder type) that presents the notes in that folder in a different way and allows new interface elements and content to sit 'around' the list of notes in that folder (see attached image with VERY badly drawn sketch

Evernote is a generic filing, product.  It's unlikely that specific "folder types or views" will be added.
We can use the existing interface to display such information.

We can do customization using "dashboard" notes2139677070_ScreenShot2019-04-22at06_18_34.png.0ff3581243f079b05044b99c114a6557.png
The screenshot is a section from my daily journal /dashboard note
It shows Current Tasks and Active Projects; this could be Learn Notes, My Goals, ...

The notelists were generated from simple searches
Third party Filterize will keep the lists updated automatically.
I use scripting on my Mac

Archived