Write-protected notes

The problem: when I scan business cards in EN for iOS (iPad or iPhone), they end up in EN for Windows write-protected (little green pad-lock at the top right). However, they are not write-protected in iOS!

Sources on the web indicate that this might be caused by the business card note being created outside the core EN app, and write-protection would be required in order to not break one way sync between the "outside app" that created the note and the core EN program (Some may remember EN Food). However, scanning the business card (which I used to do in Scannable) works now just as well directly within the EN app, and still this issue persists...

Please allow for removing the write protection from business card notes in EN for Windows!

• Level 5*

I expect that that's related to this: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/read_only_notes.php. If that's the case, then the only way that I can think of that might accomplish this is to export the note to Evernote format, and clearing (or maybe deleting) the contentClass item. I don't have such a note to try this out on, so I can't tinker with it just now.

• Level 5*

Following up on this:

I found that adding the element <content-class>jeff.test</content-class> to an .enex file after the <source>...</source> element, that this made the note read-only. So if you edit the exported .enex file in a text editor, just remove the <content-class>...</content-class>, save, and reimport it. You should be able to edit after that.

On 28.2.2018 at 7:20 PM, jefito said:

Following up on this:

I found that adding the element <content-class>jeff.test</content-class> to an .enex file after the <source>...</source> element, that this made the note read-only. So if you edit the exported .enex file in a text editor, just remove the <content-class>...</content-class>, save, and reimport it. You should be able to edit after that.

Thanks, @jefito, good to know but not really workable in day-to-day operations - scanning business cards and updating contact information shouldn't require exporting, changing source-code and importing notes...would be good if EN could remember the fundamental basics of reliability, operability and convenience that made this app my app of choice to begin with!

It is not consistent to have the same note write-protected on one operating system and not write-protected on another!

Archived