Encoding troubles while importing text files

While importing utf-8 text files into my Evernote notebooks any non-english characters are garbled. The text files are simple .txt created on Notepad++ and encoded in UTF-8. I've added a print of one of them (the language is portuguese, btw). Evernote seems to recognize the special characters if I type them directly into a note, but not when imported (see the other print).

Anyone knows a solution to this? I've searched the forum and, while I've seen a lot of comments about multi-language problems, none of them had a solution.

evernote issue1.JPG

evernote issue2.JPG

• Level 5

Hello, @saoki, and welcome to the forums! Funny things can happen to text encoding during import, in Evernote and in other software. I hate to suggest importing first into word, then saving from Word and importing that into EN, but it might be a workaround worth trying. But when you say "import," does that mean you are dragging the text file into Evernote? Or copying and pasting?

Hi @Dave-in-Decaturthanks for answering me!

12 horas atrás, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

Hello, @saoki, and welcome to the forums! Funny things can happen to text encoding during import, in Evernote and in other software. I hate to suggest importing first into word, then saving from Word and importing that into EN, but it might be a workaround worth trying. But when you say "import," does that mean you are dragging the text file into Evernote? Or copying and pasting?

No, I set up automatic import from certain folders to certain notebooks (I'm a pastry cook. I use Evernote to make all my recipes searchable and reachable from my phone when I'm in the kitchen). 

Your workaround gave me an idea, so I tested it (with LibreOffice, I don't use Word) and it worked. Which meant the problem was with Notepad++. I had previously checked the encoding settings, so I knew it was set up to encode files as UTF-8 without BOM, so I switched it to UTF-8 (leaving the BOM to make sure Evernote would know it was not ANSI) and re-encoded the files. It worked perfectly. 

Archived