(Archived) Crashing EN3b

Wow, I've managed to completely pooch EN3b.

I noticed in the web client that there was now a checkbox. So, I went to a note, clicked on the checkbox. No checkmark, but I thought the solid-ish box looked promising. Said I was done with the note.

Went to my desktop application (duly upgraded today), and in my eagerness, clicked on synchronize several times. heh.

Crashed EN. Crashed it so bad that the automatic error reporting didn't work. Had to manually report the error, and send some files. Done.

Undaunted, I reopened EN3b, and clicked on the tag that holds that note I was trying to check off. Crash. Error reporting works.

Hmmmm. Looked at note in web interface. Looked fine, although checkbox not checked.

Restarted EN3b, again. Clicked synchronize (once) to make sure web and desktop were in synch. Thought that maybe good web version would fix bad desktop version.

Guess what happened next? Right. I clicked on the bad tag. Crash.

Fine. Went to the web, deleted a note from the tag, just to see if the syncing was still working. Didn't delete the potentially offending note, because I'm stubborn.

Restarted EN3b again. Synchronized. Looked at offending tag. It was down a note, indicating that the synching was working. Clicked on the tag. Crash.

Tired of crashing it tonight. I don't want to delete that specific note yet, because I want to see what the EN folks say in response to the flurry of crash reports.

More to follow.... :D

Crane,

I am highly impressed. I have found lots of ways to get EN3b to abort, but it always has come back up ready for more. I fear I am now completely out of the running for the Tour-de-EverNote-3.0-Beta yellow or green jerseys. :)

It may be fixed for you, but that tag still crashes EN3b for me. What should I do?

Delete the local .exb file, delete the note with the checkbox on the server, open Windows client, enter you username/password again and sync your notes back from the server to the client.

that didn't work. I deleted the exb file. I went to the web client and deleted the offending note. Now the tag shows 3 notes in total in the Web client.

I restarted EN3b on my desktop, logged in. Synchronized, bringing in everything from the web. The tag shows 4 notes on the desktop version, and only 3 notes (yes, looking at "all notebooks", so they're both looking at the same thing). When I click on the tag, EN3b crashes, again.

Next?

that didn't work. I deleted the exb file. I went to the web client and deleted the offending note. Now the tag shows 3 notes in total in the Web client.

I restarted EN3b on my desktop, logged in. Synchronized, bringing in everything from the web. The tag shows 4 notes on the desktop version, and only 3 notes (yes, looking at "all notebooks", so they're both looking at the same thing). When I click on the tag, EN3b crashes, again.

Next?

Updated instructions follow:

Delete the local .exb file, delete the note with the checkbox on the server, empty Trash, open Windows client, enter you username/password again and sync your notes back from the server to the client.

Delete the local .exb file, delete the note with the checkbox on the server, empty Trash, open Windows client, enter you username/password again and sync your notes back from the server to the client.

Success! Deleting the trash did the trick.

Now, the tough question - how exactly did I corrupt that one note, and how do I avoid doing it again?

Now, the tough question - how exactly did I corrupt that one note, and how do I avoid doing it again?

The note wasn't corrupted, actually: the web client saved the note with the checkbox in the way the Windows client didn't expect. So, do not edit the notes with checkboxes online, until an update to the Windows client is ready.

Archived