Stacking notes and notebook covers question

• Level 5*

Note sure what you mean by "notes be stacked inside a notebook", but a NB contains Notes, and each Note can belong to only one NB.  If you want to see the Notes in a particular NB, then just tap on the "Notebooks" button on the EN Home screen, and then on the NB of interest.

Even though it has been long requested, there is no way for the user to change the NB color or icon.

Thanks, Michael for your response. I appreciate your willingness to answer.

I desire to stack notes for each project within a projects notebook. The only alternative must be to create a notebook for each project. I'm trying to cut back on the amount of notebooks I'm acquiring. Thanks again :)

• Level 5*

If you have, or are going to have, a lot of projects, you then you probably want to use Tags instead of NBs to designate which project each Note belongs to.  As you probably know, you are limited to 250 NBs, whereas tags are virtually unlimited.  This has the advantage of allowing one note to be associated with multiple projects.  

For example, you could have a Note for each person who works on projects.  Then assign the project tag to each person on that project.  If you look at the Note for a person, you can quickly see which projects he/she is assigned to.

So, I have a primary "PROJECTS" tag, which is the parent tag for all projects.

Then for each project, I create a subtag named "PRJ.MyProjectName"

The "PRJ." prefix is very useful to select the tag you want when assigning tags to Notes, and choosing tags for the Tag filter.

When viewing the left Sidebar, this causes all of your projects to be grouped together for easy viewing, and quick selection.

For more info, see See The Benefit of Using Tags  

If you have, or are going to have, a lot of projects, you then you probably want to use Tags instead of NBs to designate which project each Note belongs to.  As you probably know, you are limited to 250 NBs, whereas tags are virtually unlimited.  This has the advantage of allowing one note to be associated with multiple projects.  

For example, you could have a Note for each person who works on projects.  Then assign the project tag to each person on that project.  If you look at the Note for a person, you can quickly see which projects he/she is assigned to.

So, I have a primary "PROJECTS" tag, which is the parent tag for all projects.

Then for each project, I create a subtag named "PRJ.MyProjectName"

The "PRJ." prefix is very useful to select the tag you want when assigning tags to Notes, and choosing tags for the Tag filter.

When viewing the left Sidebar, this causes all of your projects to be grouped together for easy viewing, and quick selection.

For more info, see See The Benefit of Using Tags  

Thanks for your helpful explanation. I'm about to watch a video on tags. Tags need to be incorporated into my system for efficiency. Thanks again.

• Level 5*

BTW, long ago I created a tag named "Master_Note".  I assign this tag to a Note that represents the top level, primary, Note for of that entity, as represented by other tags.

Following the above example, I would have one Note for each project, that has the tag "Master_Note".  So, by convention, I assign the tag "Master_Note" to only one Note of all Notes that also have the tag "PRJ.MyProjectName".

So, if I want to see a list of my projects, then I do a search of:

tag:PRJ.* tag:Master_Note

This gives me a Note list of one Note per project.  Each Note is the top level primary note for its project, and could be like a TOC for all next level Notes of that project.  For me, I have a template Note that serves as my Master_Note for each project, and has a table of key "fields" that I fill in, as well as a section for links to the primary "tasks" of that project.

Having said all that, I actually use tools like IQTell.com and Apptivo.com for my primary project management.

IQTell.com in particular tightly integrates with Evernote.

Evernote is a great PIM, but it falls for short as a project/task manager.

Good luck in whatever tools you decide to use.

Archived