Irritating behavior

I would have preferred to keep this private but they insist I put it here.

I really get tired of apps that are totally "all about me".  Apps that don't ask and assume - invariably incorrectly.

I use the Evernote add-on for the browser.  It works awesome for the most part.  But why does the programmers assume by default  I want to interrupt what I'm doing to open the main app?  Please stop.  Set the option by default to not open from a web clipping.

After the app opens and I close it -  since it has now derailed my train of thought - some moments later it decides it needs updating.  So I allow it, say yes and go away.  Then AGAIN it feels like it's ok to open the entire app obscuring what it is I'm doing.

Perhaps a checkbox under settings "Forego annoying behavior".

What prompted this is I'm collecting research notes to compile later and it really is being more trouble than it's worth.  I can simply clip text and paste it into a text file if it comes to that.  But I like Evernote - don't encourage me to have second thoughts.

You don't indicate which desktop system you are using, but I believe you can stop this behavior. Check under Tools-->Options-->Clipping. Try checking and unchecking various boxes on that popup to stop this behavior. I can tell you that I use Chrome on a Windows 10 computer and this doesn't happen with me. I do get a clipping notification that tells me the page was clipped, but it does not open the full program. 

You don't indicate which desktop system you are using, but I believe you can stop this behavior. Check under Tools-->Options-->Clipping. Try checking and unchecking various boxes on that popup to stop this behavior. I can tell you that I use Chrome on a Windows 10 computer and this doesn't happen with me. I do get a clipping notification that tells me the page was clipped, but it does not open the full program. 

Yes, i can suppress launch launch after clipping - but think about how you described the fix "try checking and unchecking the various boxes".  Not very friendly.

There is no way I can find to prevent the clip window from launching the upgrade window, nor to prevent the upgrade from launching the full program.

As a software developer, I can assure you launching without giving an option/asking is bad manners.

Yes, i can suppress launch launch after clipping - but think about how you described the fix "try checking and unchecking the various boxes".  Not very friendly.

There is no way I can find to prevent the clip window from launching the upgrade window, nor to prevent the upgrade from launching the full program.

As a software developer, I can assure you launching without giving an option/asking is bad manners.

No, I'm afraid you misunderstand, I think that one of those check boxes will shut off this behavior. 

I can tell you, that it doesn't do this with me. 

In the list of 3 options I have only the third option to show clipping progress checked, and I would guess for your purposes, you'd probably uncheck the last solitary box. BUT I don't have time to test this out for you on my account, I can only tell you that you can shut this down for good by experimenting to find what turns this behavior off.

The other thing to consider is that you have a bug of some sort. One thing most folks here suggest doing is a complete uninstall, restart your computer and reinstall. If the behavior persists and you've tried using the options check boxes and it still persists, then report it as a bug. 

Archived