How Big is an Evernote "Megabyte"?

Depending on context, Apple Computers, Inc. uses different conventions for measuring storage size. For example, sometimes a MB is measured in base 10 numbers, so 1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes. Other times, it's measured with a binary (base 2) system, so that 1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes (base 2) = 1,048,576 bytes (base 10).

Furthermore, the size of a "byte" depends on a computers hardware architecture. While most modern computers use 8-bit bytes, some computers have historically used 6-bit bytes.

Since Evernote distinguishes its plans by storage capacity, I was wondering, exactly what does Evernote mean by terms like "megabyte"?

• Level 5*

Since Evernote distinguishes its plans by storage capacity, I was wondering, exactly what does Evernote mean by terms like "megabyte"?

I think you can safely, conservatively, assume Evernote is following this standard:

Megabyte

A common usage has been to designate one megabyte as 1048576bytes (220 B ), a measurement that conveniently expresses the binary multiples inherent in digital computer memory architectures.

I have for decades used the following:

• 1 KB = Number of Bytes / 1024
  • 1 MB = Number of KB / 1024
  • 1 GB = Number of MB / 1024

In a more practical approach, simply view your Notes in List view, and add the "Size" column to the view.

You can use this as a guide.

"Please try and convince me that .049 of a Megabyte is going to make a difference one way or the other..."

Your wish is my command ....

I'm writing an app that, among other things, reports the size of notes transferred to Evernote. Correctly doing the math is trivial; correctly knowing what formula to use is not. It's a mystery because this isn't well documented.

Also, I've experienced discrepancies between what Evernote reports and what other apps report. I'm not convinced the discrepancy is due to different measures of file sizes, but I'd like to rule this in or out.

Re. 2) The note size will tell me how many MB a note is, but it won't tell me how many bytes or bits it actually is. You can do this through the API or the interface.

Re. 1) Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think of it.  :wub:

Archived