New desktop, new install: will EN notes sync down or up to server?!

Currently, I have ONLY Evernote Web. (Had desktop version for a few years, too, but long story, short--not now). I have NO other devices with EN installed.

I want to do a new, clean install of EN on my Windows desktop computer. But I'm slightly paranoid that when I install the Windows desktop EN then log into my account, the empty desktop will automatically sync UP to the EN server and wipe out all my notes in EN Web. Is that an irrational fear?

Of course, I want to sync down from the EN web server to my local desktop and reconstruct what I had before, but I need ASSURANCE that this will happen. And how do I make sure it happens that way?

• Evernote Expert

Under Normal circumstances, especially in conflicting cases is the Server. The decision to upload a file or download it from the server is typically made on a decision as to when was the last date, a file was updated. 

For instance, if a file was created directly on April 23rd, and was not sync'd to the desktop - On reinstalling the desktop say on 26th April, the file should download. However, if the file on creation on April 23rd was deleted on April 24th from the Desktop and later sync'd, this would mean that the copy of the file would be deleted from Evernote's server as well - however, it would be moved into the Trash.. This is how the system is supposed to work. 

What is most recommendable is that you always use a Windows PC ( Rather than a server ) and make a backup from the Windows HardDisk Database. Rather than sync from the Evernote server, restoration to the database path - This will make it faster, and also you don't have to sync back several GB of data back saving up precious time and bandwidth to get Evernote running away. 

I do not know the exact status of your Evernote account. Many people have done things incorrectly and ended up losing data. It is best that you contact customer support for confirmation of further actions. 

Contacted EN customer support on April 16, and they gave instructions as if I had the desktop version (still) installed, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks for your input. My fears seem to have some merit... 

Currently, I have ONLY Evernote Web. (Had desktop version for a few years, too, but long story, short--not now). I have NO other devices with EN installed.

I want to do a new, clean install of EN on my Windows desktop computer. But I'm slightly paranoid that when I install the Windows desktop EN then log into my account, the empty desktop will automatically sync UP to the EN server and wipe out all my notes in EN Web. Is that an irrational fear?

Of course, I want to sync down from the EN web server to my local desktop and reconstruct what I had before, but I need ASSURANCE that this will happen. And how do I make sure it happens that way?

If you do not have Evernote installed (and/or no your-user-name.exb file on your Windows computer), simply install Evernote, log into the account you've been using on the web and sync. After all, that's what Evernote is designed to do - be multi platform.

Under Normal circumstances, especially in conflicting cases is the Server. The decision to upload a file or download it from the server is typically made on a decision as to when was the last date, a file was updated.

For instance, if a file was created directly on April 23rd, and was not sync'd to the desktop - On reinstalling the desktop say on 26th April, the file should download. However, if the file on creation on April 23rd was deleted on April 24th from the Desktop and later sync'd, this would mean that the copy of the file would be deleted from Evernote's server as well - however, it would be moved into the Trash.. This is how the system is supposed to work.

This makes no sense. Partially because you are using the term 'file' when it appears you are referring to Evernote NOTES, not FILES. And partially b/c OP is discussing wanting a new install on a computer to download all notes from the Evernote servers and is not discussing modifications (on a desktop app) to individual notes that may or may not have been synced to the Evernote servers.

If a computer does not have the Evernote app installed and a new/clean install is done, then invoking the Evernote app and logging into an account will ALWAYS download what is on the Evernote servers for that account.

You're welcome. I would also add that if the computer in question ever did have Evernote installed, before installing & syncing, confirm there is no your-user-name.exb file by searching all the hard drives for *.exb AND be sure you can see hidden files, since often, those files are hidden by default.  (Google 'show hidden files' for your OS version.)  IOW, even if you already have Evernote installed on your Windows computer and want the notes on your desktop to match what's exactly on the WEB client, no uninstall is required.  All you'd do is fully exit Evernote on your desktop (make sure there are no elephants in the system tray), rename the exb file (you can delete it once you confirm the newly created, live exb file is good), then reinvoke Evernote.  It will create a new exb file (since you renamed the old one) & download everything from the web client.  There are other steps required if you had any unsync'd notes/changes on the desktop client or if you have any local (non-synced) notebooks, since by nature, they are not sync'd to the Evernote servers.

It's great to get guidance from an EN pro. I've done the *.exb search and will follow up on the hidden files step. I didn't keep local non-synced files, so I'm good there. Thanks again. I'll probably do the install tomorrow or Saturday.

Following up: Spot on advice, Moderator. I found the hidden .exb file -- that was excellent advice about hidden files -- and followed all the steps you suggested, and I'm all set now. Thanks so much.

The original problem surfaced when I did a EN program update in response to their prompt, as I've done many times over a few years, but somehow, this last time (early April), the elephant in the system tray went white after it was all done. When I clicked on the white where the EN elephant used to be, only the program's .exe file name appeared. I supposed I should have installed it right then and there, and all would be well, but bc the user experience didn't match what usually happened when clicking the prompt to install an EN update, I wasn't sure of what to do next. Now I know. Thanks again!

Archived