Bulk import\creation of Tags - If not feature request

Hello

I have a file of a 72 line file, where I would like each of the lines to be a tag.  It would be tedious to manually create a tag for all of them.

I have done a search on this and see nothing on importing tags, and in Windows, see nothing on importing a CSV file.  Is it possible to export XML like files to tags.

If Evernote for Windows does NOT have this feature, it would be great to have it.  

For now, have to start manually create some tags.  

Dave

After manually creating in Evernote 72 tags, that I had in a text file, I came across the solution.    DUH!!!

1. In you text file, ensure each tag in a separate line
  2. Put "<tag>" before each tag and at the end of each tag</tag>.  Ie </tag>AccPrj1</tag>,  Textpad has a good macro feature
  3. In Evernote Create a dummy note, with 2 tags.  Use tags you have never used before.  Make it easy to find and distinct text that you can use in 
  4. Export the file. Select the file and "File\export\export\Export as A file in Enex\.  ".  Use an appropriate file name
  5. In Windows, Open the file with your text editor
  6. Search for "<tag>"
  7. Put every <tag> occurence on their own lines
  8. cut and paste the lines from your text file
  9. Remove the dummy tags
  10. Save the file
  11. Import back into evernote
  12. Delete the dummy note and arrange the tags
  • 3 months later...

Exporting a single note to .Enex file and then open it in text editor, then you can do all sort of crazy things :) 

I imported about 4k notes, but taking xml into excel and replace the items I need to replace using excel Macro. 

Same thing I did for tags as well, I actually created a Dummy note called Tag_imports and formatted the .enex file. I am so glad I switched to evernote, could not do such crazy things in OneNote 

• 6 months later...

Great idea!

The only thing that may be worth pointing out here is that as each note has a limitation of 100 tags, you can only add a maximum of 100 tags to the note. Evernote will complain if you try to import a note with more than 100 tags (I tried it). If you have more than 100 you'll need to create more than one note.

• 7 months later...
On 4/3/2015 at 6:02 AM, albiondave said:

After manually creating in Evernote 72 tags, that I had in a text file, I came across the solution.    DUH!!!

1. In you text file, ensure each tag in a separate line
  2. Put "<tag>" before each tag and at the end of each tag</tag>.  Ie </tag>AccPrj1</tag>,  Textpad has a good macro feature
  3. In Evernote Create a dummy note, with 2 tags.  Use tags you have never used before.  Make it easy to find and distinct text that you can use in 
  4. Export the file. Select the file and "File\export\export\Export as A file in Enex\.  ".  Use an appropriate file name
  5. In Windows, Open the file with your text editor
  6. Search for "<tag>"
  7. Put every <tag> occurence on their own lines
  8. cut and paste the lines from your text file
  9. Remove the dummy tags
  10. Save the file
  11. Import back into evernote
  12. Delete the dummy note and arrange the tags

I cannot get this to work for me.  It makes sense up until Step 10 above, "save the file." 

That results in saving it as a TXT file.  Evernote for Windows will not import it and only wants ENEX or Onenote files.

If you are working on windows. When you save as a text file - save as window pops up. Give a

file name "xxx.enex"

Save as Type  "All Files" 

Then hit the save button and open the .enex file with evernote.

Archived