Is the screenshot option supposed to work?

wastrel

I'm using Fx35 with v6 of the clipper. I haven't had a problem yet clipping most stuff, but screenshot won't work at all--keep getting "Error: invalid arguments". Basically, things look pretty normal while making the clip for a part of the window; once I release the mouse button, the window turns blank and grey--it seems to want to support annotation (which apparently isn't supported in Firefox [for some reason?]) because the mouse cursor changes when over the grey area (but there's no image there to annotate); but I don't want to annotate anyway--just save the image to my notebook. When I actually try to do the save, though, I get the error message popup.

So, what's the problem?

Thanks.

It depends a little on what build you are running. As far as I can test the build linked here https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/2549631c-cebf-4b21-9518-95a2081bbc15/0c8e2fd9221398e819b141a600acf7dchas the screenshot tool working as expected. For a while we had the issue you reported but it's been fixed in later builds.

If you installed the build from the Mozilla hosted pages it is correct that the issue you mentioned is happening in recent Firefox versions. One issue we have is that Firefox has taken over 12 weeks to review our latest submission which had screenshot working at the time of submission but later updates to Firefox changed that. 

Great -- that sounds promising. From the page you link to:

" 3) Open finder window with location of xpi file and drag and drop this onto any open Firefox window.  This installs it."

What's a "finder window"?

The only .xpi on the linked-to page is included in the instructions for Mac, which makes it appear that it should only be installed on a Mac, I am indeed on Windows (and installed the version I'm using now from AMO). Is that .xpi actually for Windows, too?

Thanks.

OK, I've updated, and the screenshot process works now--looks a lot better, too (no big, blank, grey window). Thanks a bunch!

So, I presume Mozilla's plans to have all extensions for Firefox "signed" in the future will put something of a kink in your process of hosting them here and users being able to install them in a timely fashion (or at all?)--they still haven't verified the latest one at AMO (because they're too busy/dragging their heels). I guess "author sites" will either have something of a problem or Mozilla will have to give up its "control freak" attitude? (or maybe users everywhere will all feel "safer and more secure" with Mozilla in control? ...I don't know [but I mostly doubt it])

We always have and will keep hosting the Firefox Web Clipper on Firefox's AMO. However when we have beta versions etc. we offer them here instead. 

Once the new version gets approved you should get back on the AMO download to make sure you always get automatic updates. 

Will do. Thanks.

By the way, once the new version comes out of beta, the clipper for Firefox will support the same features as the clipper does in other browsers, right? (There was a lot of "not supported in Firefox" for features in the intro. doc. for the new clipper.)

Archived