Thoughts on My Evernote - GTD Fusion?

I've been applying the GTD system pretty religiously for a couple of years now, and like most people who stick with it, I have seen great increases in productivity. So naturally, I've also been trying to convince friends and family to give it a try, but they seem really reluctant. Whenever I ask them why that is so, they basically tell me they cannot get themselves to even finish reading the book, because it's a rather dry read... I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

In order to maybe convert some of my friends yet, I wrote a blog post in which I try to give a bare-bones summary of the Getting Things Done system, based on Evernote. The idea is to give them 95% of the benefits without them having to torture themselves reading the book - hopefully, they will still do that later ;-)

I would be really interested in some feedback on my article by some people who have a good grasp of Evernote and the GTD system themselves! Did I forget anything essential? Could I shorten / simplify the post even further? What do you think about the style - too distracting / too wannabe funny? Please be really critical, I'm German, I can take it ;-)

Looking forward to reading and discussing your thoughts and ideas! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Any reason why you're not using the Reminders function in Evernote? Why create a tickler file when you can just attach reminders to both scheduled items and those you want to take another look at in a month or two? 

There's nothing wrong with using dates in file titles - I do this a lot. But it's an additional step that some people might find tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason why you're not using the Reminders function in Evernote? Why create a tickler file when you can just attach reminders to both scheduled items and those you want to take another look at in a month or two? 

There's nothing wrong with using dates in file titles - I do this a lot. But it's an additional step that some people might find tedious.

Good point! I played around with reminders for a while but eventually decided against using them. The reason being: I find it crucially important to keep my different lists as clear cut as possible, so when I review my action pending items for example, I'm really only looking at items that I should be doing as soon as I have time. Likewise, I like to keep my tickler items in a separate list, sorted by date, so I can easily review them as well. If I don't stick to that clear cut way of differentiating between different types of items, I eventually end up looking at a pretty amorphous list of "stuff" again, which makes reviewing it a pain... Hope that makes sense, English is not my first language ;-)

Thanks for your summary of GTD.

I think that specially with family members the issue is to introduce Everrnote first as a tool for using GTD but implementing GTD only after some familiarity with Evernote.

Biting the 2 at the same time is a bit of a mouthfull.

:)

Ha, makes sense! I didn't even think about that, as I find Evernote such a useful tool, I can't even imagine why anybody is not yet using it ;-) But you are right. It would probably be better to turn in into a 2-part process, either introducing Evernote or the GTD methodoly first, and then the other... Will think about that!

Archived