My evernote refuses to share, but I can receive shared notebooks

HansHyde

Hello I have been using EN for about 3 months. I have liked it so much, I have shared it with others I want to collaborate with, the problem being... I have never been able to initiate a notebook or note sharing process from my account. I can receive shared notebooks or notes from others (those I asked to sign up), I can even go into their accounts (they live with me), set up EN on their computers and initiate sharing from their accounts and it comes to my account no problem. I just updated EN on my netbook running Win 7 and verified it is up to date, and still nothing. I just checked my EN app on IOS and do not see that sharing is an option there. I have tried many times, verified email addresses, etc. This is frustrating given this is the main reason I came to EN, to collaborate and initiate sharing.

Can anyone suggest why it is only my EN that is unable to initiate sharing?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you've initiated sharing from other accounts,  then you know how to do so.  So what happens in your account when you try the same moves?  Do you not have the same menu?  Do you get errors?  What?

I receive no errors, the Work Chat posts the "file", it is as it should be. Sometimes as in right now, I can add a message, hit the send button, and it will not post. As though it doesn't recognize the other user.

No notification happens on the other user's EN, nothing shows in their activity log, even with EN shutdown and restart and manual sync.

I just went and tried on my desktop, and it does not execute the action to the other user's account either.

(sorry, I don't see a way to attach an image without having to upload elsewhere and provide a url.)

• Level 5*

What your users should get is both an email notification,  unless it gets stopped by their own,  or their ISP's spam filters,  and a message in Evernote that someone wants to start a conversation.  Not sure if that conversation message is triggered by the email,  or whether your request goes directly to Evernote somehow...

Are you attempting to share from your home network,  or work?  Is there a possibility that some aggressive firewall at your location is stopping outgoing messages?

Edit:  How about logging into your account from another machine (using the web interface) and trying to share from there?

Hello Gazumped, and thanks for the help.

There are no firewalls, and the 3 computers (2 my account & 1 another user) are all on the same home network. I had this same problem on other networks prior.

Logging on to the EN webapp, revealed I had been using an incorrect email address (a difference between .msn & .hotmail), but regardless I sent a share request to a second email address I have, and the notice goes through via email.

When I tried with the EN desktop UI, Folder --> Properties --> Email Users, a window pops up telling me I am not connected to the internet. This I know is not correct as I am in fact connected. My activity likewise only shows incoming changes to shared folders, no activity for folders I am trying share.

I just verified it is connected to Internet by modifying a Note on my iOS EN app, and it carried over to my laptop EN UI no problem.

Is there some "Online/Offline" selection that can be used in EN? There is something that is refusing to send out sharing requests from within the EN UI across two computers from my account. I have free account and not Premium, but that is the same with other users who have successfully shared folders with me. To date, I have not been able to successful initiate the sharing of a folder from my UIs. Tools --> Options --> Sync looks ok, however the "Joined Notebooks" box below is only populated with Notebooks that were shared with me, not by me.

Windows 7 Home Premium on both computers, just fyi

• Level 5*

There's no 'offline' switch in Evernote,  and the fact that you're seeing changes from iOS reflected back on your laptops confirms that you are connected,  so I don't see why Evernote would think that's not the case...  I don't think it's relevant,  but have you checked your Windows computers for this security setting?  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76311-cant-login-to-server/?p=323421

If you're a premium subscriber,  I'd suggest raising a support request here https://evernote.com/contact/support/  and maybe Chat (weekdays,  PST) can work out what's going on here.  If not,  check out those settings and we'll see what else the forums can come up with...

Thank you Gazumped. I tried the recommendation, the "### 3.0" needed to be unchecked. But with full system restart, it has not fixed the problem. And add to that, the other computer I was testing through another User's EN account, has now picked up the "Not connected to the Internet" bug. I have reported to EN via their bug reporting as I am not Premium at this point. I will wait for their response. This "bug" is quickly pushing me away from the EN platform all together. :(  Cheers

Archived