Straightening PDF Pages

n8vz

I just used my ScanSnap EE to scan in a 49 page document.  One page is crooked and needs to be straightened.  I can think of several ways to do this, but wondered what might be the easiest and quickest way to accomplish this task.  Perhaps someone else has encountered this problem and has a slick solution.  My best solution is to load the PDF file into Graphic Converter 9 and then straighten the page in that app.  Right now, however, I'm on a PC and not my Mac, and I don't have a program on this machine that will do just a simple straighten rather than a 90 degree or more rotation.  Thanks for any help you can give. -- Carl 

• Level 5*

I use Adobe Acrobat X Pro to OCR PDFs I have scanned with ScanSnap S1300i, although I find that the ScanSnap will straighten most pages.  Maybe it's a setting in ScanSnap?

During the OCR process Acrobat straightens all pages that need it.

There might be 3rd party PDF apps that will do the same.

You could also rescan that one page, and replace the crooked one in the original PDF.

Acrobat X Pro must be the only one that automatically straightens pages like that.  I know that the other PDF programs that I've used do not do that, though at one time I had a utility that would do that; however, I don't currently have that on any machine.  It was a program back in about the XP days.  Acrobat is sooo expensive that I've kind of steered away from it in recent years.  I had an educational copy (I worked for a university, now retired) several years ago, but it kept losing its license credentials and the process of going through Adobe to get the credentials restored each time there was even a minor update to the OS, or I installed a new HD, etc., was so long and painful that I just gave up on Adobe.  In recent years I've used Nitro Pro and FileCenter, but they do not offer this kind of automatic straightening.  The rescan and replacement is a viable option, I was just hoping to find a simple solution that would not only solve this rather minor problem but would do so automatically in the future.  If I were a richer man, I'd just buy a copy of Acrobat X Pro.  I'm not poor, but their prices the last I looked were just outrageous.  Thanks very much for your input. 

I just checked and Adobe seems to have simplified its educational registration and I'm still eligible as an emeritus. I may give them another try. The Amazon reviews testify to the new simplification. Those reviews tend to be reliable if you filter out the obvious idiots! :-)

I just checked and Adobe seems to have simplified its educational registration and I'm still eligible as an emeritus. I may give them another try. The Amazon reviews testify to the new simplification. Those reviews tend to be reliable if you filter out the obvious idiots! :-)

Well, I download, paid for, and have registered the educational version of Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, and the process went very smoothly.  The initial registration process was much easier than previously.  Now, I hope that the software doesn't unregistered itself periodically like the old one did.  From the reviews this is apparently not the major issue it once was, and when it does happen re-registration is no longer like trying to receive an FBI clearance.  .  

Archived