Using OCR for the first time

Quick question. I am a new user to Evernote and I know there are a ton of features to learn. Right now my primary objective is to translate a scanned page from a paperback so I can cut and paste the electronic image text into Google Translate from English to Ukrainian.

For Step 1, I dragged the scanned PDF (one page) into the open window panel on the right of the Evernote program on my iMac. I have no idea where it appears to reside but looks it is likely in my Notebook. That was how the open window panel was under.

I then went to the menu bar and did a Synchronize. Yet when I tried to do a search on a specific word nothing came up. When I opened the document in my Notebook, all I saw was the exact same image as the original PDF. Copying the text only produced gibberish when I tried to paste the result into Google Translate.

So what am I doing wrong? Or do I have to wait 4 hours for a new OCR document to appear in the same Notebook? Attached is the one page scanned document. (I realize the left side of the page is faint. I can easily correct that when I successfully get a new OCR page.

Cook 1.pdf

• Level 5*

Right now my primary objective is to translate a scanned page from a paperback so I can cut and paste the electronic image text into Google Translate from English to Ukrainian.

If you are a Premium account owner, Evernote will OCR your PDF for search purposes. However, the OCR text will not be available to you.

If you want access to the OCR text then you will need to use a PDF app that will do an OCR. You can then copy this text and use for whatever purpose you wish.

Archived