Differences in Evernote Format for Primary and Secondary Email

Greetings,

Today I noticed that when I use my primary Evernote email address (my work email) to log into Evernote, I have access to my tags and subtags, according to my preference. However, when I use my secondary email (my personal email) there are no subtags, just a ton of tags. Can this be resolved?

Also, I will be changing jobs soon and want to make my personal email the primary Evernote account. However, when I go to change it, it tells me the secondary email is already in use. I'm concerned that when I change jobs and lose my work email I will no longer have access to my tag/subtag hierarchy that took much time to organize.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you.

Further, when I go to the account summary online and click "manage email addresses" my secondary email doesn't even show up. I thought I could delete it, and then make it the primary, but I can't do that if I can't click a box that lists the secondary address. So Evernote says it's in use, which is true, but I do not see how I can alter it.

• Level 5*

Sounds like you are logging into a separate, secondary, Evernote account that shares notebooks with your primary account. That being the case, Tag hierarchy is not preserved in shared accounts, so any tag structure that you have in your primary account will be flattened in your secondary account, and vice-versa.

Thanks, Jefito. Is there any way to resolve this issue? For example, when I try to change my primary account email to the secondary email, it tells me the secondary is already in use and therefore prevents me from making the secondary the new primary.

I guess the problem boils down to how do you convert a separate, secondary Evernote account that shares notebooks with the primary account into the primary account?

I need to do this within the month, as when I change jobs I'll lose the primary email.

• Level 5*

There is no such thing as a "primary" Evernote account, as far as the Evernote service goes. You have two separate accounts. Your email address identifies you to the Evernote service, so you cannot use the same email address for separate accounts.

OK, there is one way that I know of, but it relies on a quirk of GMail: notice that as far as GMail goes, the period character ('.') is ignored when resolving email addresses. That is, mail addressed to "my.account.name@gmail.com" will go to the same place as "myaccountname@gmail.com" or even "m.y.a.c.c.o.u.n.t.n.a.m.e@gmail.com". But a couple of years back, I was able to create separate Evernote accounts using the same GMail address by dropping in a period for the email for the second account. You could try that trick, if your account name is a GMail account.

Failing that, if your "secondary" account only consists of notes shared from your primary account, then you *should* be able to shut down that account, thus freeing up the email address on that account. You might need customer service to help you with that.

Or just share all of the notes from your primary account to your secondary account, and copy the notes to that account into notebooks owned by the secondary account.

Archived