Problem Sharing/Printing iPhone Evernote multiple "Document" photos.

I was unable to find clear resolution to my issue so I'm posting this as a "new topic" though I doubt that this in fact new to the forum.

Nutshell- Evernote "Document" photos are unusable for me when sharing multiple image documents as they will not format correctly for others to view/print/save.

In Practice- I try to use iPhone EN "Document" photos in leu of scanner. I usually capture documents of 2 to 4 pages. They are legible within Evernote but NEVER when sharing via email for others view/print/save.

Upshot 1- I tried to share these documents with clients and had to explain that I had used an app, Evernote, wonderful in so many respects but bizarrely dysfunctional in this particular function.-Sorry PR team:(-

Upshot 2-I tried simple work arounds- sharing from desktop app & PDF conversion options without success.  I gave up. -Sorry self image of me as tenacious problem solver-

Upshot 3- I ask for help, rectification, resolution, hope, happiness and everlasting Evernoting WITH a functional multiple image "Document" photo sharing/printing/saving function.

Any and all feed back appreciated 

ET

This is puzzling to me. I have a lot of scanned hand writing and printed documents. I can just drag the jpegs out of a note onto my desktop and when opened in a photo viewing app (in this case, Preview.app), they look identical to their evernote counterparts. Presumably I could email this to file to someone and it would be perfectly legible.

I just tried sharing a note with a scanned document via email from within the Evernote app itself (note>share>email), and the images of text look just as they do in Evernote. 

I am not sure if I understand exactly what the problem you are experiencing is, and because of that I'm not sure if I know of a cause and solution. Could you elaborate. Specifically:

What do you mean illegible? Do you mean that once the image leaves evernote, the image quality is degraded to a point where it is no longer clear? In other words, the picture in Evernote looks great, but outside, in another application, it looks terrible? if so, this shouldn't be happening and I cannot reproduce it. 

What are you hoping your clients can do with these documents? There are a lot of reasons why, if "working with" rather than "referring to" a document, using a PDF may be favourable. What precisely are you trying to do with these documents?

Maybe some more details and your fellow users here will be able to offer some suggestions. 

Hello Scott

Thanks for taking the time to reply

The primary issue ( whether Evernote functionality or my own  misstep ) is:

A. When using the EN iPhone app.

B. in Camera/Documents mode

C. to capture multiple images/pages as a simple 2 to 4 page document/note. (EN iPhone facilitates this multipage in single document/note capture but not -for me at least- a functional sharing & printing protocol)

D. the "sharing" option both from the EN iPhone & desktop apps (from this multipage capture method)  produces documents without appropriate formatting to view/print/save individuated but grouped document pages. 

i.e. iPhone EN camera/docs multipage notes behave (when shared outside EN) more like a single image pasted together. Rather than 2 or 4 discrete pages that one could view/print/save as one does a standard multipage document of most any format, the EN shared image does not recognize and reproduce viewable printable individuated/discrete pages. My iPhone EN camera/docs mode multipage notes  produce printed images in multiple pages but without  any relation to the individual pages that physically constitute the document. A simple  3 page EN iPhone camera/docs capture might yield 2 printed pages with a page and a half of image on each for instance. 

Again, I may be taking  wrong turn along the way. But if there is indeed a way to easily share, print/save the multipage notes that the iPhone EN app so very easily allows you to create then I have managed to miss it. Perhaps I'm gifted this way?

All the best,

ET

PS. To clarify: I don't need clients to "do" anything with the documents. They need simply to be printable/save-able as separate pages. Also, Ive tried working from the desktop app with multipage notes created as described above and have the same formatting issue? Sharing from desktop EN and/or dragging said multipage notes to desktop to print yields the same results- a mashup of partial partial pages?

Ah, Ok. I am still not sure I am understanding you but let me see if I do. 

You scan a multi-page document using the EN Document Scanner on your phone. This creates an Evernote note with multiple jpg images. Each image corresponds to a page you scanned (in other words, one image per page). 

Printing

When you go to print a note with multiple scanned pages, rather than having one picture per printed page (e.g., picture of page1 = page 1; Picture of page 2 = page 2; picture of page n = page n) you might end up with two images on a single page, or an image spilling across a pagebreak so that a single image is actually split across two printed pages or some other thing like this. 

Sharing

When you SHARE this scanned document, your recipient is getting a collection of JPG images rather than, for example, a single, paginated file. 

It sounds like you really at heart want to be using PDFs. 

It sounds like you'd be best to use a third-party scanning application that creates PDFs and has Evernote integration. Scanner Pro from Readdle, and Scanbot would be two of many examples. When I need to make PDFs, I personally use Scanner Pro from Readdle and really love it. 

Hi Scott

Thanks again

I do use Scanner Pro and have used several other 3rd party scanning apps. Thats a part of the problem- I have seen the light- and it allows iPhone apps to do multiple page document "scanning" with individuated page formatting! In my low tech naivety  Im left to guess that EN's "document camera???" could be a scanner if EN wanted it to be. It seems like a limitation to leverage EN to EN exclusivity. Im sure you folks tire of grousing customers and I don't at all mean to be one. It's just that a scanner IS nothing more than document camera. When EN added  a "document camera" I just assumed that it WAS nothing less than a scanner!  And in the monoverse of EN it is. I've turned lots of folks onto EN over the years but I don't have the option with many clients and institutions. I still luv ya but I guess I'm done with my EN camera when it comes to all things paper. What a shame:(       I was so happy to simplify....... toss the 3rd party apps..... I'm a 3rd party pooper!

Note to self- Scanner and "Document Camera" not same thing.  

All the best,

ET

Well it isn't clear that the choice to scan documents as JPGs is motivated by trying to keep people in the EN universe. Indeed, JPGs aren't proprietary and are reasonably portable. I suspect the choice of scanning to an image is motivated by the at least following:

1) JPGs are searchable for free and premium users. PDFs are only searchable for premium users. 

2) JPGs can be displayed inline on all desktops and mobile devices. It is very hard to display PDF files inline mobile devices (at least, on iOS devices), you can only show a little attachment icon for PDFs, a user has to launch the PDF in a PDF viewer to see its contents. iOS can't really display PDF thumbnails. 

I'm sure there's more to it than this, but this is just my speculating. 

I use the document scanner and a third-party PDF scanner almost equally, it really depends on what I'm going to be doing with the document. For example, all of my hand-written notes are scanned with the document scanner. Any forms I have filled out and which may need to be submitted to some third party get scanned as PDFs. 

It's just a matter of understanding the limitations and benefits of each method and relating those limitations and features to your needs. 

Thanks Scott

I maybe mistaken ( as I don't at all understand JPEG vs PDF formatting challenges) but even when converting the EN doc cam jpeg to PDF in EN desktop the printiing "pagination"sp? is foiled. EN "sees" and displays a kind of page by page scrolled view within the app but won't produce a paginated PDF? It seems hard to swallow ( though swallow I must) that this is true software limitation. If ( and im still ify here) a jpeg is an iphone "doc camera" (not scanner) must,  then implementing PDF conversion that's meaningful, printable, shareable, functiional outside our dear elephant house would be something that more than a mother (elephant) could love.

My 3 cents

All the best,

ET

You are correct, if you try and, for example, "print" a note as a PDF using your computer's (mac, in my case) print dialogue, any images will spill across pages. The same would occur if you tried to print a web page, for example, and the code that underlies an Evernote note is similar to the code that makes webpages. 

The most effective way to convert these images to PDFs would be to open the images themselves in a program like Preview on Mac (or I suppose adobe on windows?...). Preview (and presumably Adobe reader) allows you to save the series of images as a PDF. The images can be organized/ordered however you want. Doing this will make each image its own page of a PDF file. 

If you want PDFs, you need to go to a third party scanning application. That's the long and the short of it. Evernote has, for at least the reasons I have stated in my previous post, chosen to make their document camera create image files rather than PDFs. This was the choice they made. If users want to make "meaningful, printable, shareable, functional outside of our dear elephant house" files, then they can use a PDF scanning application that does this VERY well. 

Archived