(Archived) Dragging files into a note gives out-of-order results.

mcglk

Idea

For example, I'm trying to group sets of images into a single note. Say I have

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So I create a new note, and drag the images in. In some cases, it winds up being in reverse order; in others, the last image is first and the first last, in others, they are scrambled in different orders. I haven't yet gotten them to show up in the note in the same order as the filenames.

Is there any way to do that?

Furthermore, when I drag a set of images into a note, there's a carriage return at the end of every image in the note. Is there any way to circumvent that?

7 replies to this idea

Thanks for the report, I hadn't noticed that before. I think we're just getting the order for the files from the operating system, and going along with whatever it says, but I'll check into it.

Thanks

Where are you dragging these images from? Are you dragging them directly from the Mac Finder, or are they in some other application (e.g. a mail client)?

The mac processes drag-and-drop differently in a few different contexts, apparently.

Thanks

I have the same issue, I drag the files directly from explorer and my notes end up out of order.

ex:

136Lecture2_Page_1.jpg

136Lecture2_Page_2.jpg

136Lecture2_Page_3.jpg

136Lecture2_Page_12.jpg

They are in order in the folder, sorted by name.

I am on Vista Ultimate x32

What is the algorithm Evernote uses to load multiple files?

I have this same issue , I'm using drag & drop in MacOS from the Finder to load a set of page-scans, and the result is a mis-ordering of pages. I want to do a lot of this so I need to figure a way other than page-by-page.

I have experimented a lot, it does not seem to be based on FileName or CreatedDate or ModifiedDate or Size. Drag&Drop yields different results from Copy/Paste. The sort order in Finder seems to affect the result. The sort order seems to be repeatable with different combinations of starting conditions.

Suggested Feature : a selection in Preferences that allows the user to select "Order by Name" when dragging multiple files into a Note.

Final Note: Apple's Preview application seems to do the right thing ... if you select a group of jpg files and open in Preview, they open in order by Name.

Archived