A few suggestions...

I'm studying computer science and I have a strong passion for user experience/interface design. I haven't been the biggest fan of Evernote and I've realized that it comes down to a few pretty simple issues that I feel would enhance the usability of Evernote for many people, including myself. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate what Evernote does and the quality/reliability. However, I would love to see it improve in the following 4 main ways (in order of importance in my opinion):

1.  Have a "Sort by" setting for each notebook so that it can be sorted by things like the date they were created/last edited (or user's chosen order).
2.  Have a quick and easy list entry (comparable to Google Keep)
3.  Change the reminders...I feel they should be a separate thing within evernote (possibly displayed on a calendar style layout) with a note attached to them (rather than the reminder attaching to the note). I would also like the option to have a recurring reminder.

4.  Allow for a larger hierarchy of notebooks for better organization beyond two layers (good for OCD people like myself)

A point of lesser importance:

I would also love to see one or more alternative layouts/color schemes available if possible...I feel this makes a big difference to potential users. Perhaps take some inspiration from EverMemo or Google Keep.

All good points.  I am a "Certified Pro" with Apple's Aperture program.  Aperture is a database of Images ("Image" in Aperture, like "Note" in Evernote, has a specific meaning).  It's brilliantly designed and executed.  Like many things that are brilliant, there's not so much of a learning curve as there is a learning curb:  a short sharp wall around the program that you have to scale before you can stroll around and enjoy the elevated view.  Evernote is a database of "Notes".  Aperture provides everything you want from a database, and much much much more.  One look at Aperture's "Filter HUD" is all it takes to see that Evernote, as a database management system, is behind the times.  And Aperture hasn't had a major upgrade in four years.

I don't think there is much value in speculating why.  Evernote is an enigma to me.  It has, in fact, made tremendous strides in the last couple of years (mostly in the UI, iirc), but at the same time the pace of change is not commensurate with their installed user base or revenue stream, and the lack of basic database features is dispiriting.

• Level 5

<snip> I have a strong passion for user experience/interface design. I haven't been the biggest fan of Evernote <snip>

Agreed. Other users have similar feelings about Evernote's UI recent changes.

In my opinion, Evernote is trying to address too many conflicting requests.

4.  Allow for a larger hierarchy of notebooks for better organization beyond two layers (good for OCD people like myself)

Evernote has been pretty clear that they don't seem interested in more levels of hierarchy. It's just not the organizational scheme they have chosen. You can do lots of very fine grained organization with tags. Search the forums for the many discussions on the issue. 

I don't think Evernote is trying to balance too many conflicting requests. I think they have a pretty definite idea of what the want to do and those ideas sometimes conflict with what some users want.  :)

Evernote employees do read all of the posts even if they don't reply. You can also submit feature requests by opening a support ticket. The link is in my signature. 

Best of luck. 

Archived