Can't install Evernote in Windows 8

Tamara

Hi,

I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit. I can download the install file and run it, but as soon as I click "Yes" to allow the program to make changes to my computer, a DOS command window flashes briefly on the screen and the installation stops. There is no error message, no pop-up window, nothing.

My temp directory does not have an EvernoteSetupMSI.log. It does have EvernoteSetup.log. The only suspicious entry in the log file is

[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Launching Evernote.

[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Unable to get app path for Evernote.exe

[03/24/2014 11:10:36] Installation completed.

However, the installation did not complete successfully in spite of what the log file says, since searching the C: drive for Evernote.exe returns no matches other than Evernote_5.2.1.3108 in the Downloads folder. I tried creating a folder called "Evernote" in the Program Files and Program Files x86 directories, but got the same result. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Level 5*

Hi Tamara.  I'm running 8.0 64-bit and a beta 5.3,  but there's no problem with installs and updates - I had to do quite a bit of that lately.  

Have you tried moving the downloaded install file to your desktop or a different location from the one chosen by your browser?  (I'm assuming you're downloading from Evernote.com).  WIndows 8 seems rather picky about folder permissions and the installer might have trouble getting access to the right location.  

You can install from a USB stick if you have one available - try that as an option.  You could also try running the installer as an administrator - go to the browser's download folder (or an alternate location) and right click the EXE file to choose 'Run as Adminstrator'

Archived