(Archived) OCR capabilities - not only search but also convert

crazymichel1

Hi,

I would like to use Evernote for research to capture key passages in a book in order to use them later for citation in an article.

Is there a possibility to not only search within images, but also copy its text to the clipboard?

It would be even more convenient if it was already there as plain text, so that I could quickly rearrange and process further a big number of citations.

Furthermore, it would be good if processing an image after capturing could happen in the background, so that I could take multiple images more quickly.

I think this would be an application of evernote many students and researchers are looking for.

Regards,

Michael

• Level 5*

Not really possible: Evernote's OCR doesn't capture your text as a stream of words. Instead, it makes guesses at what words are present -- sometimes multiple guesses for the same source word -- and stores all guesses along with the location of the word in the image. There is no notion of passages; there are only discrete words. Export a note to .ENEX format, and examine the <recognition> section. Reference: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/image_recognition.php

Ok, so it would be more complicated to implement this feature. Still I would encourage you to do it. There are already good algorithms available, this app here for example works very well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appstyle.gosmartocr

It ist even possible to send the captured text to evernote. However the solution is still very inconvenient and slow (as, e.g., the image is converted on the mobile and the phone is locked for additional image captures). I bet you could do better.

Ok, so it would be more complicated to implement this feature. Still I would encourage you to do it. There are already good algorithms available, this app here for example works very well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appstyle.gosmartocr

It ist even possible to send the captured text to evernote. However the solution is still very inconvenient and slow (as, e.g., the image is converted on the mobile and the phone is locked for additional image captures). I bet you could do better.

This is a users board. Jeff is a user just like you are.

oh, ok. the title confused me.

So I tried submitting a ticket with a link to this topic.

Jeff's answer still stands.  EN reads all the posts on this board & you can submit feature requests via support ticket.  But please know that probably all you will receive in reply is "thanks for the suggestion".  Since EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

• Level 5*

oh, ok. the title confused me.

So I tried submitting a ticket with a link to this topic.

All I was doing was relating what I know to be true in Evernote today. That may change down the road, but it's not up to me.

Archived