Saved photos

I have recently scanned a large number of photos (about 1,000) to Evernote as we are emigrating and I don't have room for photo albums.  This appears to have taken up a large chunk of memory on my laptop as it says 40 is being used by "photos" and I have deleted all photos from iPhoto, so Evernote is the only place there are stored now.  My question is, is there a way that I can remove these from Evernote on my laptop but still have access to them via the Evernote online page?  (I am probably not explaining that very well but I am not computer savvy........

Thanks in advance,

Karen

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote isn't the best place for photos since (as you've found) it stores them as part of its database and they bloat it up considerably.  DO NOT however delete the notes from your laptop otherwise they'll also be deleted from the web when it syncs with the server.  You could export the notes (File > Export >..as a file in ENEX) but from the sound of it that could take some time.  At least then you'd have a separate file which you could store on an external drive to save some space.  You'd have to import those notes back into Evernote to see them again.  Or you could export to multiple web page HTML which will give you an even larger folder of files you can view in a web browser.  Once you've exported the pics,  you could delete the notes bearing in mind the new file/ folder is then your only backup of the photos.  Keep it safe.

Thank you, but could you explain it in a bit more detail for me, as I am not too clear on the export thing! If you can talk me through the HTML one that would be great.  I currently have them in a Notebook that my family share to view, so how would that work regarding that.  Very grateful for your help.

• Level 5*

It's as easy as it gets - open the desktop version of Evernote on your laptop,  find the notes with photos - are they all in the same notebook? - click to select the notes and then go to File on the top menu bar,  then Export and choose "export as multiple web pages".  You will get asked to choose a destination.  Create a new desktop folder and send the files there.  Click OK a few times here and there,  and you should see things happening.  If you do this though the notebook will be un-shared and the new stuff won't be available to the family.

How much hard disk space do you have left on your computer?  (Click on the 'my computer' icon and see what the entry is for C:\ drive.  It should say xxx free of yyy)

Unless you're all out of space I'd leave things as they are.  You could ask someone for an external hard drive for Christmas!

• Level 5*

5 GB isn't much free space but I'd expect it's liveable for the moment at least.  And yes external hard drives are ideal for pictures - as long as you don't want to share them online.  Have a look at Flickr and Picassa for that - also Google Docs and Microsoft Live or maybe Facebook...  There are lots of places to share pictures - though if you post them online you also need to keep your own local copies as a backup.

Once you've got an alternative place for shared pictures,  I'd suggest taking them out of Evernote and moving them to a new home.  

• Level 5*

All of the sites I quoted allow you to upload pictures to the internet so others can see them.  You'd have to give everyone the right URL address - the http://www... thing that would include your user name for that service.  Then you can either allow everyone on the internet (not recommended) or just the people you choose to see the pictures.  The services are all different though - you really need to have a look at one or the other and set up your account (they're also all free) and try it out.  Have a look at some of those links online for more information.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Gazumped, further to your earlier reply regarding this, if I make a new desktop folder and send photos there, when I try to open desktop folder it says that they have been saved in an Evernote folder, so I am not gaining anything in terms of space! I am still totally confused but would still like to try your suggestions of exporting to a file I could store on external hard drive but can't see this (File > Export >..as a file in ENEX).  Is it different for a MacBook perhaps?  Thank you for your time.

• Level 5*

Hiya - I was commenting originally from my Windows perspective,  so export from a Mac might be slightly different,  but I'm sure you should have an Export option.  You don't get to choose 'files' however - best you can do is 'web pages' which will include your pictures as part of the page.  Getting the pictures back as individual files would be a long task - you'd need to click on each picture to select it and use 'open with' or 'save as' as part of the process.  Not too bad - but time consuming if you have a lot of files to rescue...

Archived