(Archived) Evernote Journal

I would like to use Evernote as a sort of journal, as well as to take individual notes. What I would like to do is to create a note, and then have within the note text or body dates inserted as  sort of headers, so that when I go back and review thoughts and impressions I have recorded, I can easily see on what date I recorded them, not just what date the note was last updated. In my mind, this would look like:

- Jan 01 2014

Thought

Thought

Impression

- Jan 02 2014

Thought

Comment

- Jan 03 2014

Impression

Thought

And so on. Of course, one could type the date manually each day, but isn't that what we develop software for? You could have an option to insert the date once each day, for a sort of diary format, or date/time for each entry, if that was important to you. Anyone else think this would be a cool feature?

• Level 5*

I would like to use Evernote as a sort of journal, as well as to take individual notes. What I would like to do is to create a note, and then have within the note text or body dates inserted as  sort of headers, so that when I go back and review thoughts and impressions I have recorded, I can easily see on what date I recorded them, not just what date the note was last updated. In my mind, this would look like:

- Jan 01 2014

Thought

Thought

Impression

- Jan 02 2014

Thought

Comment

- Jan 03 2014

Impression

Thought

And so on. Of course, one could type the date manually each day, but isn't that what we develop software for? You could have an option to insert the date once each day, for a sort of diary format, or date/time for each entry, if that was important to you. Anyone else think this would be a cool feature?

Megsaint answered your question, but I would suggest a different approach using a new note each day titled YYMMDD. You can link all of them together if you want.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

Both of the approaches that you suggest are workable on a PC, but most of the time I am entering note data on my phone (Android) so there is no easy shortcut for date insertion, and making a new note every single day is kind of clumsy. Generally, I would be reviewing the notes on my PC (Windows) so I could cut and paste them together there, but it's one more process. I really would value a "journaling" feature as I described in my original post, and I think that many other people would, too.

There are lots of third party apps that will work with Evernote to do what you want. I've used one called PostEver on both my iOS devices and Android devices. It's a very easy way to create journal entries throughout the day that are all appended to one note in Evernote and date stamped. 

Archived