(Archived) Web Clipper 6.0.3 & Safari 7 (Mavericks) Location Losing Focus

RichardD012

With the latest beta on Safari 7, if you start typing in the location bar, the web clipper will take focus away from the location bar, but ONLY if the javascript console is not visible.  Which is weird...

• Enable the Web Clipper
  • Make sure javascript console is not visible (or any of the inspection toolbar)
  • Refresh Page
  • Click on the location bar (or CMD + L)
  • Start typing an address, such as google.com or amazon.com

The web clipper will take focus away, assuming after a given amount of time has passed for an event to fire in the web clipper.  Sort of makes this non-usable.  Again, make sure the javascript console is not visible.  I had it up to capture/profile and when it was visible it wouldn't show this behavior.  

If you clear the console, then close it and start typing to cause the address bar to lose focus and then re-show the console, you'll see a lot of this:

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 () (messages.json, line 0) 
[Error] Failed to load resource: The file “messages.json” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file. (messages.json, line 0)

Both of these occur in: safari-extension://com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9/32a0f059/_locales/en_us/messages.json

We've been looking into this and suspect it is a Safari issue with iframes. We think it is because the page has iframes that load non-https pages (the clipper inserts iframes of pages from the extension bundle). The page itself is still secure, Safari is just not showing the button in the URL field. If you inspect the URL in the console it will say it is still secure. One thing supporting this theory is that we've made no updates to the Safari clipper in the last 6 weeks and these issues started cropping up on the latest 6.1 and 7 version.

We'll keep looking if there is anything we can change in the clipper to avoid this.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a Safari Issue.  There's a Safari beta available to developers and I can't seem to reproduce anymore.

For anyone else out there, I isolated it to it only losing focus when "Top Hit" shows up in the location/address bar.  If you start typing something that doesn't bring back a Top Hit, it won't ever lose focus.

Archived