(Archived) Does Evernote Create Duplicate PDFs?

I've searched very briefly for an answer to this, but didn't find anything definitive. The closest I got was seeing the question asked but not answered here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25790-howto-add-existing-pdfs-to-evernote-answered/.

When I attach a pdf file to Evernote, does it create a duplicate of that file on my hard drive, or just link to the file? That is, do I risk doubling the amount of memory taken up by my pdf files when I add them to a note?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi,  welcome to the forums.   Evernote doesn't "create" a duplicate file - you attach a COPY of your original file to a note.  The original can be left in place,  copied to an archive or just deleted - your choice.  Best to move it somewhere though; otherwise you risk confusion as to which is the current version.

Thanks for the quick reply and for clarifying what I'm asking about. Do I understand correctly, then, that after I attach a copy of the pdf file there are now 2 versions of that pdf file on my hard drive? It's not just that Evernote links back to the pdf in its original location? If this is so, then I am, in effect, doubling the size of each pdf on my hard drive because there is now the original and the copy. Is that correct?

I would like to use Evernote in my research and create a notebook for each article that I write. In each notebook I would like to record ideas for the article, web pages that are helpful, existing journal articles i find useful, etc. The first two needs are easy in Evernote and I love it for that. With the third, however, I want to store existing journal articles in a certain file structure because a journal article will, of course, be useful in a variety of contexts, not just the one project to which I have it pinned. This is why I don't want to trash the original. I also want to make notes on the journal article, which again will be useful in a variety of contexts, and don't want to juggle between more than one doc for that.

To be fair, this is not necessarily a critique of Evernote because I might (or am probably) wanting something for which Evernote was not designed. It would be a great feature, though, imo. I also think that many academics and students would find this useful.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the fuller explanation.  Had you thought of storing a link to your PDF files in Evernote rather than the whole file?  You should (depending on your OS) be able to click a link in Evernote to open the original PDF stored on disk.  You could include a summary page with the link and record the contexts in which each file has been used.  Dropbox might be an alternative storage option if you're looking for some multi-platform access - you can also link to files there.  Don't forget to keep frequent backups of any files that aren't stored locally to you however!

This is exactly what I want to do! Not knowing I could betrays my ignorance of Evernote!

How do I make this happen?

Also, I do have all of the files on Dropbox that I would like to link to Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Away from my home desk at the moment so I can't remember all the various options - the lazy way in Windows is just to create a shortcut to the file on your desktop and drag it into a note.  The shortcut will work from there just fine.  What's your operating system?

Edit: - and you can create a shortcut (in Windows) by right-click and ~Send to ~Desktop

Archived