how to save text as file

When I drag a text file into a note in Evernote it displays it as text. I'd like to keep it as a file, the way my Word Docs and other files are. It allows me to see the time/date stamps on them to see which is current. 

Also, if I drag more than one text tile into a note, their text runs together. I don't want to create another note, as I often use notes the way I use folders on my computers. 

Can I save a text file as a "file" in an EN note, or will it always display as text? 

thanks, 

--john

• Level 5*

When I drag a text file into a note in Evernote it displays it as text. I'd like to keep it as a file, the way my Word Docs and other files are. It allows me to see the time/date stamps on them to see which is current. 

Also, if I drag more than one text tile into a note, their text runs together. I don't want to create another note, as I often use notes the way I use folders on my computers. 

Can I save a text file as a "file" in an EN note, or will it always display as text? 

thanks, 

--john

Hi John. Welcome to the forums.

I work a lot in plain text, and I have no problem with putting the text files into Evernote as text files (attachments). On the Mac, open a note, and drag in the file. It should work fine. If you want the text file to turn into a note (I know you don't, but some people might, and it is good to know the difference) then drag the file into a notebook or into the Evernote icon in your dock.

One caveat, though. If it isn't UTF-8, it will probably only ever appear as an attachment. However, that is fairly rare, and most people probably will not encounter that issue. 

Does this work for you?

thanks for the tips. You're right, it does work this way on the Mac. I tried both .txt and .rtf files on the Mac and it's fine. But on the PC (Windows 7 Pro) I've tried dragging the text file into a note in EN, and it automatically turns it into text. And this is the same file that I have on the Mac. On both the Mac and the PC, it also turns my PDF files into graphics (as if they were pictures). Any suggestions? Thanks. 

--john

• Level 5*

thanks for the tips. You're right, it does work this way on the Mac. I tried both .txt and .rtf files on the Mac and it's fine. But on the PC (Windows 7 Pro) I've tried dragging the text file into a note in EN, and it automatically turns it into text. And this is the same file that I have on the Mac. On both the Mac and the PC, it also turns my PDF files into graphics (as if they were pictures). Any suggestions? Thanks. 

--john

Hi John. I'm glad it worked for you on the Mac. I don't have my Windows machine in front of me now, and I haven't got Parallels on my computer at the moment, so I cannot test this, but I think you press the Shift key while you drag the text file into the note.

• 9 months later...

Archived