(Archived) Offline notes with a free account IF never edit them on computer?

Hi!

I finally took the leap from .txt files in Dropbox and switched to Evernote. I am really enjoying it so far!

I have a question though...

I am currently a free EN user and plan on being outside of data connection for a while. So, my question is:

If I create notes in Evernote on the android phone app and do NOT use the computer client to edit or view those notes or anything, can I rely on being able to access those notes while offline? Currently, many notes are cached and I can see offline, but I have read that I cannot rely on them always being cached. But if I were to create the notes in the android app without editing or viewing the notes on the computer, can I actually rely on having offline access?

Otherwise I guess I could always install Colornote for my offline needs. But what I am thinking is say I am traveling and writing a journal or keeping notes in EN outside of wifi/data, can I rely on being able to access these notes?

Thanks!

-Spunky

...after re-reading my post, I have a lot of redundancy, sorry about that!

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Evernote is not designed as a single stand-alone mobile notepad and depending on the memory your phone has and the content of your notes (pics, sound etc) you might find that things start to go wrong before you get back to (connected) civilisation.  Though I hate to say it,  you'd be better off with another app - at least until you get back. 

Evernote wants to send its notes back to a main server so you can access them via another connection.  You'd have to make sure you didn't connect at all whilst you are away because once saved to the server,  some or all of your current batch of notes might be sacrificed to make space for new ones - they're not automatically retained on the phone.  There is a (premium) Evernote setting to maintain local notes,  but I don't know whether that would override the need to sync with the server.  Unless you're already a savvy user who's willing to take the chance,  I'd say you're better off using a more basic note-taking app. 

NB Export any notes you need to take with you from Evernote to your 'other' app because they're not automatically retained on the device.  You can re-import everything on your return.

Thank you for the response!

So you say you are not sure if even an offline notebook (on a premium account) would work the way I want? Being able to create new notes in that offline notebook and relying on the ability to see and edit those notes regardless of the cache?

And you said to export the notes I need to take with me to another app... There is no way to export notes as .txt is there? Because I cannot imagine many apps support importing html?

• Level 5*

Thank you for the response!

So you say you are not sure if even an offline notebook (on a premium account) would work the way I want? Being able to create new notes in that offline notebook and relying on the ability to see and edit those notes regardless of the cache?

And you said to export the notes I need to take with me to another app... There is no way to export notes as .txt is there? Because I cannot imagine many apps support importing html?

You're entirely welcome.

I don't know whether an offline notebook would misbehave,  but I would be unwilling to rely on any untried method for an extended period - you could maybe use this trip (?) to test it out,  but I'd still say have a different option running as your primary note-taking option.  You can always back that up into Evernote so you get a test and backup in one!

I also don't know how you'd easily convert Evernotes into text files.  Depending on the content you could always copy and paste from one open note window to another...?

Sounds good!

Perhaps I can find an easy way to export my notes to Colornote or even into Catch notes just for when I plan to be outside of wifi/data for a while, since I believe Catch has complete offline access. Although I really don't trust Catch because I and many others have lost notes with them...

Thanks again for your helpful responses.

• Level 5*

Really no problem.  If/ when you sort out your plans,  let us know how things went - the solution might be useful to someone else...

PS - there's always the lo-tech Moleskine option...

I hear ya on the Moleskine option! Although it is nice to be able to carry just my phone and access my existing notes. I guess I could always just print out the notes I think I would like to access (or even all notes save as pdf onto my phone) and stick them in the back Moleskine pocket. I could also save an export of my notes onto my phone but the phone doesn't take advantage of the embedded images in the html from the files folder.

• Level 5*

Best option might be to photograph the notes from a desktop monitor so you have them in your phone Gallery or export to PDF so you can open them on your 'phone?  You can scan or photograph any handwritten notes back into Evernote when you have the chance...

Archived