(Archived) New-ish user; understanding syncing

ILGal

Hi, everyone. Slowly building a library of Evernote notes and want to make sure I have the syncing thing correct in my head.

I am *usually* adding content to EN by sitting at my desktop computer and either dragging existing files to new notes, OR using Clearly to clean up and add web content to my account.

In these scenarios, I believe the following to be happening:

When I create new notes using the desktop app, I need to sync this in order for the notes to match up to the servers to be available to my phone, tablet, and web apps (from other computers)

When I use Clearly, the new content is added through the web app and I must sync in order to see the results on my desktop app.

Is this correct? I've been reading forum posts about lost notes due to lack of sync and I want to make sure that I have my workflow and understanding correct.

As a rule, after I create a series of notes in either place (web or desktop), I routinely hit the "sync" button to force a sync. My desktop app is set to sync automatically every 30 minutes as well.

Thanks for any insight!

Val in sunny IL

For a new-ish user, you have grasped the basic concept very well!  The main thing to remember is that you should rarely have problems with conflicting notes (and possible data loss) if you keep in mind that the EN servers are the master copy and you should always ensure one client is synced before modifying the same notes on a different client.  It sounds as though you have it pretty well in hand at present.

Good luck and enjoy!

For a new-ish user, you have grasped the basic concept very well!  The main thing to remember is that you should rarely have problems with conflicting notes (and possible data loss) if you keep in mind that the EN servers are the master copy and you should always ensure one client is synced before modifying the same notes on a different client.  It sounds as though you have it pretty well in hand at present.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the confirmation! Every day I think (or learn) of new ways to use EN and I want to be sure everything is where I last left it (ha ha). Cheers!

Archived