(Archived) New and trying to understand...

I started using Evernote because I was looking for a way to save all of my created documents and web clips into searchable folders and subfolders the same way I used to do it in Word. I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest but get frustrated becauseI can't search my boards for something I know I saved. I thought that saving particular things in Evernote would provide that search capability, and so far it has. When I was using the Free version, every two minutes I'd get a sync failure error that said that this would go over my monthly allowance, however,everything was still available on my iPad app anyway. This morning I logged in and did the whole password reset thing and well over half of my notes are gone. My usage is showing over 60mb and I only have a couple dozen notes - saved from Pinterest to the camera roll and text added. The usage thing that shows how much I should still be able to add seems astronomically more than what I have used so far. I don't know things like how much space different things take up - I really know nothing about how software or apps 'work". I also upgraded to Premium today in order to save for offline, but I wondered if the limits to how much space you're allowed applies to what's offline. Since EN syncs automatically, it seems like whatever I put in a note will automatically upload even if it's ok that it's only available offline. I have spent 3 hours at the site today trying to figure this stuff out and I'm just desperate to find out if this app is really going to do what I want it to do.

I started using Evernote because I was looking for a way to save all of my created documents and web clips into searchable folders and subfolders the same way I used to do it in Word. I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest but get frustrated becauseI can't search my boards for something I know I saved. I thought that saving particular things in Evernote would provide that search capability, and so far it has. When I was using the Free version, every two minutes I'd get a sync failure error that said that this would go over my monthly allowance, however,everything was still available on my iPad app anyway. This morning I logged in and did the whole password reset thing and well over half of my notes are gone. My usage is showing over 60mb and I only have a couple dozen notes - saved from Pinterest to the camera roll and text added. The usage thing that shows how much I should still be able to add seems astronomically more than what I have used so far. I don't know things like how much space different things take up - I really know nothing about how software or apps 'work". I also upgraded to Premium today in order to save for offline, but I wondered if the limits to how much space you're allowed applies to what's offline. Since EN syncs automatically, it seems like whatever I put in a note will automatically upload even if it's ok that it's only available offline. I have spent 3 hours at the site today trying to figure this stuff out and I'm just desperate to find out if this app is really going to do what I want it to do.

First, follow Heather's advice in this post to see what notes are in the Evernote cloud. You should do this from a computer b/c last I knew, the web client doesn't play well with iOS. 

Second, EN's allowance is an upload amount, not a usage amount.  If you start with zero usage & upload 20 megs of notes, then delete them, your upload used remains at 20. 

Third, WRT trash & sync'ing.  When you move a note to the trash BEFORE the note is sync'd, the note is not sync'd & only remains in the trash on the one computer.  However, it will still count toward your upload usage, only on that computer.  The reason is in case you decide to move it back from the trash, it won't cause you to go over the limit.  IE, say you start out with usage of zero.  You create a 20 mb note but don't sync it.  Instead, you move it to trash BEFORE it's sync'd.  Your desktop will show usage of 20 mb.  But your true upload usage is zero & can be confirmed by going to the web client.  Any other computers/devices you sync will also show zero.  But if you empty the trash on the desktop, the desktop will now show usage of zero.  (Hope that makes sense.)

OTOH, if you move a note to the trash & that note has already been sync'd, the note in the trash will be sync'd across all computer/devices.  IE, you have a note that's been sync'd & you're working on computer A.  You move that note to the trash & sync.  You move to computer B & sync.  That note on computer B is now in the trash & you can move it back, if you realize you did this by accident.  (Hope that makes sense, too.)  I think in that case, you'd need to empty the trash on all computers/devices to get completely rid of the note, but I'm not sure.

High res photos/screen caps can take up a lot of space.  You can use something like Skitch or a third party app to crop and/or resize them before putting them into Evernote, if you want to conserve upload usage.

Archived