(Archived) Exporting notes/tags not working, Encryption broken too

evernoteforumQ

Idea

Hi,

I have the Evernote desktop app installed on my iMac. I only have one notebook with 2,800 notes in, all of which are categorized by tags. I also have "sub-tags" within tags. I used to have many stacks with many notebooks and notes but I switched to tags as they were easier to use and search through.

Recently, I had a problem with text encryption. Right clicking to encrypt text no longer works (no window pops up and the text does not become a little grey box as it used to).

I considered backing up my files and then reinstalling Evernote, but I read that many who tried this get "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported.

An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed." due to fragments left behind. Some have tried using special installers/uninstallers (Revo) to no avail.

Instead, I decided to just back up my notes with an .enex file and create another user account, and then import the notes into the new account. Another user said that he was still able to use encryption if he logged into another account using the same Evernote desktop app.- see MTT here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26644-help-evernote-no-longer-encrypts/ 

I confirmed that by logging into my wife's account from my desktop Evernote app and I was able to use encryption on her account (using the same installation of Evernote on my iMac). That shows that the problem must be with files associated with my account, rather than the desktop app itself.)

Anyway, I exported the 2800 notes in one notebook with many tags on each note (as an enex.file) to a backup folder on my iMac. Then I created a new account using the same installation of the Evernote app. However, when I imported my notes into that new account, Evernote only showed 800 notes (even though the notebook view had the number 2800 below it). I also lost all my tags and many PDFs became unscannable.

I realize that I have a lot of notes in one notebook and many tags too, but if Evernote allows me to do this and works perfectly well on a day-to-day basis, why is there no warning about losing tags and notes when exporting? What is the limit for one notebook?

I therefore gave up on the idea of exporting my notes to a new account and decided to stick with my original account. However, that still leaves me with the original problem of no encryption.

Any solutions?

0 replies to this idea

There have been no replies to this idea yet

Archived