(Archived) HELP: Evernote no longer encrypts

MrTT

Idea

Hi,

Evernote on a friend of mines computer stopped working with encryption several months ago. Few months ago she contacted Evernote support but since she still didn't get a reply, I thought I would try and ask in here on her behalf.

She's currenty using Evernote 3.1.1 on Snow Leopard (fully updated).

Problem is, when you highlight a text and right-click and select "Encrypt" (or whatever it's called in the English version), nothing happens. The text remains plain text, there's no popup asking for password or anything.

The logfile does say this however:

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] INFO: Parse success w/o HTML tidy.

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] DEBUG: Root tag is 'span' not 'html'

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] DEBUG: Adding 'body' tag

I tried to trash the plist file and the cache, but that didn't help.

Any ideas? Thanks!

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi,

Evernote on a friend of mines computer stopped working with encryption several months ago. Few months ago she contacted Evernote support but since she still didn't get a reply, I thought I would try and ask in here on her behalf.

She's currenty using Evernote 3.1.1 on Snow Leopard (fully updated).

Problem is, when you highlight a text and right-click and select "Encrypt" (or whatever it's called in the English version), nothing happens. The text remains plain text, there's no popup asking for password or anything.

The logfile does say this however:

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] INFO: Parse success w/o HTML tidy.

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] DEBUG: Root tag is 'span' not 'html'

2012-06-02 15:46:19 main [ENMLConverter] DEBUG: Adding 'body' tag

I tried to trash the plist file and the cache, but that didn't help.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. If I understand the encryption process correctly (I don't use it much), you select text, encrypt it, and then enter a password. You will see the option to decrypt text whenever you are on this computer (or something like that). If you check that box, every new encryption will need no new password, and will be automatically decrypted. If you open up the notes on the Web or some other platform, you should be prompted for the password.

In other words, it is encrypting and decrypting. Personally, I would like to have the option to change this behavior, but I don't think it exists once you check that box.

Not quite. I use Evernote myself on my own Mac and it's a completely different behaviour compared to what she is seeing on hers.

When I highlight a text and right-click to encrypt it, it will ask for a password. Then the text turns into a square box with circles on it to indicate that something is hidden. Then I just click on the arrow to either "show" text or "decrypt permanent". Hers doesn't do that, the text remains plain text, never encrypted.

The checkbox whether or not you want Evernote to remember the password till next time you quit, is just to make it easier for you when you click on a text to show, so you don't have to enter the password each time. It does NOT mean that everything encrypted is displayed until Evernote quites (I use this checkbox myself).

• Level 5*

Not quite. I use Evernote myself on my own Mac and it's a completely different behaviour compared to what she is seeing on hers.

When I highlight a text and right-click to encrypt it, it will ask for a password. Then the text turns into a square box with circles on it to indicate that something is hidden. Then I just click on the arrow to either "show" text or "decrypt permanent". Hers doesn't do that, the text remains plain text, never encrypted.

The checkbox whether or not you want Evernote to remember the password till next time you quit, is just to make it easier for you when you click on a text to show, so you don't have to enter the password each time. It does NOT mean that everything encrypted is displayed until Evernote quites (I use this checkbox myself).

Yes. That is what I meant. You ought to see the gray icon, but you don't need to enter the password. I thought she was getting this gray icon, but if she isn't even getting that, then it does sound like odd behavior. Has she upgraded to the most recent version of Evernote?

• Level 5*

I am afraid I have no answer. To make sure there isn't a problem with her Evernote installation, you could create a new user profile and install Evernote there to see what happens. If it doesn't work there either, I would think it is some kind of bug affecting the snow leopards.

Today we upgraded to Lion on it - but still the same thing, encryption doesn't do anything.

So now it's running the same version of Evernote as I am, same version of Mac OS X - but still, doesn't work. I don't know what else to do.

• Level 5*

Today we upgraded to Lion on it - but still the same thing, encryption doesn't do anything.

So now it's running the same version of Evernote as I am, same version of Mac OS X - but still, doesn't work. I don't know what else to do.

Hi. I suggested installing it under another user profile because I was wondering if her installation of Evernote is somehow corrupted.

If you don't want to do this, then things get a little more difficult. You'll want to try completely deleting Evernote and re-installing. Befroe doing that,I would backup the data and make sure everything is synced (check online in the Evernote Web version).

The safest thing, of course, is to contact support. If she has her support ticket number from her original contact, she can post it here, and I think any of the employees reading this will jump into action on her behalf. I have never had support fail to contact me, though, so it sounds like she might not have completed the process, and doesn't have a number. If this is the case, it might be time to start another support ticket.

Just tried to login with a different Evernote account, on the same Mac user profile - and then encryption works. So we just created a new Evernote account for her, and imported notes from her old account - and encryption works. So maybe it was a problem with her Evernote account that was causing it.

• Level 5*

Just tried to login with a different Evernote account, on the same Mac user profile - and then encryption works. So we just created a new Evernote account for her, and imported notes from her old account - and encryption works. So maybe it was a problem with her Evernote account that was causing it.

Weird. Thanks for reporting the problem. Hopefully, the developers will see this and figure out what might have been going wrong. Glad you got it figured out!!

Weird. Thanks for reporting the problem. Hopefully, the developers will see this and figure out what might have been going wrong. Glad you got it figured out!!

Im getting same issue on 2 seperate Macbooks running 10.74

• Level 5*

Hi. Sorry to hear about that. If you have some time, could you report it (see my link below). Hopefully, some Evernote staff will be by shortly and comment on the problem. It is still early in Mountain View, but they might be shuffling into work now, or perhaps climbing out from under their desks, where they spent the night. I don't have a clear image of how that workplace is run :)

Im getting same issue on 2 seperate Macbooks running 10.74

I'd suggest going through customer support. If you do, please send them activity logs. I'll touch base with them and round up the aggregate logs and symptoms

• Level 5*

I did have something similar to this sometime ago and to be honest I can't remember the solution - I do know support said it was a bug and then I think closed off the ticket.

I have a feeling I completely deleted Evernote (application and data) and did a clean installation and download of data - remember to backup your local notebooks....

Pretty sure this will be Support's first suggestion and that they will give you more detailed instructions.

Archived